Koga Miyata SkyRunnerCBL

Martin

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Well, just around the block I found these. Couldnt resist. Allmost original.
With XT components, Gazelle headset, Tange forks etc. I think it's from around '90's but cant find much info about this one with U-brake.

Here's one first impression. I will rebuild this one I think as original as possible.

Foto-P7EAVJNE.jpg

Any info is welcome.

Cheers,
Martin

It is the 1990 model. Some came with cantis, some with U-brake.

Not a featherweight, but at the same time pretty bombproof. Remember it was the beginning of carbon fibre and Miyata decided to make their off road offering a bit overbuild. They sure succeeded in that.

Greg raced downhills on it before the DH model Elevation 12,000 came available. It was not de bike he wun the 1990 DH Worlds with however. That was on the all steel RidgeRunner. At some point Greg even competed on full suspension protos (or homemade creations) that had your frame as starting point. Examples:

Miyataprototype520.jpg

another one, a la Manitou FS

Thanks Melvin, was hoping you would give some information.

Did all these come with XT seatpost and Oddesey stem, or are some Syncros. Seen them with both combo's.

Cheers,
Martin

The one with Syncros stem and post is the 1991 model. The frame looks quite alike with its black tubing and silver lugs ...but it is reworked: Your frame has 1" headtube, 68mm shell and 130 spacing. For the 1991 model is 1-1/8, 73mm and 135mm. Moreover with the '91 model:
- stays are tapered
- slimmer rear dropouts
- bolted brakebridge instead of welded. Dito for canti studs.
- material shaved off bb-lug, incl integrated chain suck teeth
- gear cables over toptube
- Miyata BigChamp fork

From the top of my head I think that is about it. I think the Syncros spec was an influence of Gerrit Gaastra (son of) who studied in Canada around that time, or actually a little bit earlier. Syncros kit incl cranks came even specced on roadbikes at some point.

This is how your bike looked in the catalogue >>

SkyRunner-90Carbon.jpg

This is how a 1991 style frame (full aluminum in this case) looked like >>

Miyata Team

In the background a 1993 frame. Totally new design.

Back