Clockwork history wanted

agentorange

rBotM Winner
I'm sure this has already been covered but does anybody know when the first clockworks came out. I have a feeling it was 1990 but I'd like to think it was earlier. Also, excluding bikes after around 1996 does anyone know what frame revisions were made during this time. Also it would be useful to know what colours & groupsets were used on them.

Thx

Have you checked out the old Orange catalogues in the Gallery & Archive section of this very forum?

Probably won't answer all your questions though.

Try phoning Orange. They're very helpful and will give you all the details they can.

Might be worth a good search throug the archives - the Clockwork was around in 1989 IIRC in orange/white. But possibly also yellow/white although I may be getting confused with the first pre-Orange frames produced under the 'Tushingham' name - the windsurfing sail company that Noble and/or Wade were at...

Found an old article on Orange last night - Lester built his first frame in 86/87, first idea was the 'All Range' Series of bikes becoming Orange in '88.

I've never seen a Tushingham since they were in production. I saw my first, a B52, at a windsurfing exhibition in Earls Court. Did they never sell any or did they not last?

There was one at my old local MTB LBS - Revolution MTB's at Romford. They were a windsurf shop before branching into MTB's. Should imagine they are incredibly rare - they can only have made a few...

Orange Mountain Bikes history begins with the Tushingham B52, which was one of the UK's first mountain bikes. It was created as a specialty product by Cumbria in the Lake District and as an offshoot from Tushingham Sails, a leading manufacturer of quality windsurfing sails. Later, Lester Noble, a partner in Tushingham Sails, fell in love with mountain biking and left Tushingham Sails. He partnerned with Steve Wade, a bike racer with an engineering background, and formed Orange Mountain Bikes.

http://www.bikeaddict.com/bikes/orange_222.html

Some superb detail on the history there gents. I saw my first Clockwork in 89, it was in standard orange & white livery, I recall yellow & white ones shortly after. I bought mine in 92 & I know this bike very well indeed. I've since bought another identical frame (£110 on ebay) which I want to build up with suitable 'period' bits. I really need to know wether my NOS 89 M730 XT groupset will look out of place aboard this frame?

So, in brief, can anyone think of any major differences between the 92 frame & the 89 one. I want this project to look perfect. I have a period Turbo saddle with a nice early Stalk & original no-name black ally bars from my original Clockwork, Mavic C321's & Specialized Ground Control tyres.

Back