Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:10 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:47 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Ally wrote:
French heritage though: dare I suggest a full Mavic build.

I suggested that to Si, earlier :wink: so +1 from here, too :wink: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:39 pm 
West Midlands Deputy AEC
West Midlands Deputy AEC

Nice bikes these - nice and clean looking.

I have a copy of MTB Mountain Bike Monthly from September 1992, it has a test on the mi90 - full campy groupo - in black. Exactly the same decals though so I think its a '92.

For what its worth I think it should be built up with a full Shimano XT or Mavic (if you can find/afford it!) with nothing too bling in the way of components - try and preserve that plain understated cool look.

I have a feeling I have some more info stashed away on the old mags so I'll keep an eye out.

Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:25 pm 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

Cleaned the look up a little yesterday , going to touch paint in anywhere thats is a bit tatty ;) ,, overall really good condition..

Not really sure which direction this one is pulling me really, but thinking as it was XT specced to do a slightly racer little no. .. :)

Thought about M900 as CTK mentioned as it looks uber cool, and in my opinion maybe the finest MTB groupset they ever produced.. :) but a little to bling for this build,,

The mavic route is interesting and the pure of you might think thats the only way, but although very beautiful ,, too rare and precious maybe to use.. and maybe not race bred at heart.. :) , so I'll let you mavic boys hold onto it to hang on the wall :)

So as BITD the bike would have been XT specced I thought I do a slightly racer little number.... :)

Put a few bits on to get a general idea of size and stance.. ;)

nevadasmith :) if you have any scans or more info , I'd really appreciate a look.. :)

Going to see what comes in information wise as to my final build.. but the front mech will be replaced with maybe an ultegra as I'l going to run 2 x 7.. the gripshifts will be replaced with XT thumbies , brakeset not too sure what to use,, thinking XT , but suggestions would be welcome,, :)

I'll update again maybe tomorrow.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:42 pm 
Retro Guru

wow that was quick didn't think the stem would arrive until Monday!
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:51 pm 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

:) Arrived super quick fella, never expected hyperspeed delivery :lol: :lol: cheers.. :)

Not sure if it will stay or go, but think it works with the direction for now.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:38 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Yep like it Si. I would like this in my stable! Sachs Wavey shifters match the decals nicely but think the Flexstem clashes a bit mind.

I agree that Mavic would be too difficult to find and too pricey anyway. M730 is good I think it would have had that originally. 600 rear mech is getting to be your trademark 8)

What brakes are you thinking of? M730 cantis I guess?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:44 pm 
West Midlands Deputy AEC
West Midlands Deputy AEC

Sithlord wrote:
nevadasmith :) if you have any scans or more info , I'd really appreciate a look.. :)

That is looking great - the use of a racing bike rear mech is an ace touch, I used ton run a 105 rear mech BITD.

I'll get looking through the mags (when I get a chance between feeding and nappy changing my 6 day old son!) scanning could be a week off before I get back to work - but I could mail you anything useful I find on a loan so you can scan it yourself.

I can give that flex stem a home if you decide not to keep it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:48 pm 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

:lol: yea like the ultegra mechs, as I used to race with them bitd ;) always found them reliable :) and cheap to replace :) , going to use a ultegra front mech too on this I think , again as used bitd :) only going to use 2 x 7 so will be quite snappy for chainging gear,, and less hassle in the winter.. :)

Yea agreed on the griphifts/flexstem,, might repaint that white to match frame,, :)

brakes,, yea thinking canti's but would prefer to use the low profile design over the wider armed version but I know these came out in later years to the frame.

not sure on tyre choice either yet, going to try some black and ambers on,, ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:25 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

I picked this frame up from the original owner - it had DX on it at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:06 pm 
Retro Guru

I'have got an original Look saddle and an original Look handelbar. Both are NOS, it come from a MI80R. If interested MP :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next