1988 Rockhopper

HarryCrumb

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This union began when a colleague at work asked for advice on a bike he had seen on ebay, I heard the words Rockhopper and 1988 which immediately made my ears prick up. I told him I would have a look at it while I was on lunch. It looked ok was local pick up only and looked pretty original, as the guy at work just wanted something to go round the corner to the stables where his horse is, I said "leave the bike for me and I will sort something more suitable for your needs"

To my surprise when I checked my ebay on my phone whilst out, the bike had been won for a mere £13.00. I collected the bike the same day and first impressions were tatty and the group as suspected was Exage Mountain and not Deore which was on some of the Rockhoppers of the same period, but £13.00 what can you say.

On further inspection the bike had clearly done no miles whatsoever and all the scars must have come from storage over the last 23 years. The rims have barely any braking scrubs at all.

what you see below is the original ebay pic and the pics I have taken since the clean up.

Ebay ad photo
rockhoppercomp.jpg

photos from the strip down showing how clean the BB shell was, note how there is no usual polished ring on axle from bearing rub
P8090018.jpg

P8090017.jpg

P8090016.jpg

P8090011.jpg

Photos following de grease and T-cut, Chrome was cleaned with cooking foil and T-cut.
P8170012.jpg

P8170010.jpg

P8170009.jpg

P8170007.jpg

P8170006.jpg

P8170005.jpg

P8170003.jpg

P8170002.jpg

P8170001.jpg

thats looks minty, but change the seat for a period avocet or something

was thinking of a Turbo, I think they came with those

I have also got some chrome Shimano Skewers, aquired today from Benandemu, to go on ;)

Shimano ad with yellow Rockhopper on the left, for some reason they used a bike with Exage mountain to advertise there new XT 2 group?

P8170014.jpg

That is a beauty and for £13 :cool: I have literally just got back from a good 3hr ride on my 89, its such a great bike ride and yours looks even better with that rear U brake :cool:

I must say I am astonished at the condition of the bb shell, 22 years and mild as mild steel can be.......... thats is cool as ..... even has the yoke covers and SIS chainset shifter switch ........ you lucky get :D

When you told me about this, I didn't doubt it would be a good one.

The only thing I can add is, do you remember the day (years ago) when we convinced ourselves that a second bike would be a great idea as we could take the strain off the 'best' bike and train with the other?

At what point should we have the conversation that we have too many now?

that looks amazing.

would be intrerested in the saddle for my saracen if you do change

what a bargain
looks a great bike in excellent condition
if you ever want to double your money give me a shout

kirbdug :D

Back