1981 Ritchey is still my ride

drpaddle

Dirt Disciple
I bought this bike new in 1981. It was one of the first batch of three Ritcheys shipped to San Diego by Mountain Bikes (Charlie and Gary). The frame wasn't configured for desert mountain riding or offroad touring, since it had only one bottle mount and no rack mounts. So, I had two more bottle mounts put on the topside of the downtube, one bottle mount under the downtube (for water or camp stove fuel), one bottle mount on the Bullmoose bars, mounts for front and rear Blackburn racks, Silca pump, and portaging strap. I chromed the chainstay and rear tips and painted the frame in a gold-flek brown with silver bands (modelled on my Raleigh Professional MkII from 1971). Needless to say, the original French deraileurs and TA cranks didn't last long among the rocks, and I upgraded from Mafac to Suntour brakes when they became available. Original parts include the frame, fork, handlebars, Campi headset, bottom bracket spindle, Campi seat post, and High-E hubs. This is my only mountain bike these days, and I keep up just fine on the climbs and over the rocks. No joy trying to keep with suspended bikes on the descents, though. (Added info: SN 1560R)

Attachments

• Ritchey_1881_still_my_ride.jpg
    Ritchey_1881_still_my_ride.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 3,547
Love it Dr P! Still in contact with Charlie? PS that really needs a Cyclone rear mech, but if it works why mess with it ;-)

I've corresponded with Charlie from time-to-time over the past year or so by email. You probably see those guys, living in the area.

That black ugly thing hanging from the rear tip was a recently required replacement. Chain had just about sawn through the cage of the old Shimano Deore I'd had on there for the past ten years or so. This new contraption drives me nuts: IT SHIFTS BACKWARDS! Even after riding with it a bunch of times, I still shift up when I need to shift down. D'OH!

I think the original deraileur on this bike was a Simplex <shudder>.

What do you ride these days, Tam_shadow?

Before I can make appreciative noises, I must point out the dead animal that appears to have been snared in your saddle bag. This could possibly explain any strange odours eminating from the rear...

I have sported the trailing end of a dead animal on my bikes since about 1975. The Barbie doll head on the front skewer dates to around '76. She has the coolest punk haircut.

D'OH! I said Hi-E hubs. Wrong. My bike has the original Bullseye hubs. I must have had the Hi-E stuff on a set of road wheels at one time.

I never bothered before to check the SN. So, I just trotted down to the garage, flipped her over, knocked off some mud, and came up with 1560R. Cheers!

Back