Not Klein - but what is it?

paininthe

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all, I bought this many moons ago for the XT groupset that was on it. Then promptly forgot about thinking it was probably nothing. Now I know it is not a Klein but looking at it now with a more retrominded eye, it does not seem as bad as originally thought. The welds are quite tidy on the butted frame and with a no-name bb it weighs in at 6lb (is that heavy?)

the frame numbers are 306 B0V with 4530 underneath

Can you help me out with the id? Long lost triple butted tange or plumb centres finest?

whatisit.jpg

More pictures here

6lb is very heavy. looks like a Shimano BB Don't let the Klein lovers see it :shock: Will have a heart attack. :LOL:

Could be pretty much anything, although the weight indicates nothing terribly exciting. There's a slight air of the early 90s Marin about the shape and fixtures - I think the Palisades Trail frame was that kind of weight.

Definitely early 90s as shown by the position of the seat clamp and cable guides. Is that 6lb weight with the bottom bracket fitted ? If so, then thats not a terrible weight for early 90s. Possibly plain gauge or double butted cromoly material (tange?). There's something familiar about those tidy welds and the smooth ends of the chainstays. I am also thinking "Marin" or maybe "Specilaized". Perhaps WD Pro could comment on that ??

Assuming it something like a UN52 bottom bracket, then the frame will be about 5 1/4 lb and given the fact it looks to be quite large (what's centre to top ?) then that's typical of an entry level MTB, like a Clockwork/Mid-range Marin/Kona Lave Dome at a guess.
The sort of thing people may have upgrade to XT over a year or so.

So not shite, also the reinforced headtube points to not shite.

But don't know the serial number. Anything stamped on the drop outs ?

I'm pretty sure it's not a Marin, the rear stays and dropouts are wrong, Marins had a solid dropout with the fatter "afterburner" stays and a pierced dropout with the earlier, more slender stays. The rack mount is wrong too, Marins were brazed on the back of the stay, rather than being a hole through the stay.

It not a marin serial number ;)

I'm trying to remember who else ran the rear much under the seatstay a know a few but it's not one of them.
or the curved seattube top (well it looks like it did)

Back