1994 Kona Lava Dome W.I.P - Newbie

wilkij1975

Devout Dirtbag
Hi All

I'm new to this retro biking lark and just picked up a 1994 Lava Dome to, hopefully, breath new life into.

I picked it up off ebay with all but wheels and brake levers. As far as I can tell its all original equipment and mostly works. The frame is in a slightly worse state than it looked in the pictures so will probably need painting (any suggestions as to where to get this done would be good).

I want to keep it original looking but will probably add some newer parts to it depending on what I can pick up.

Anyway, here's the only pic I have for now (from the 'bay) and i'll get more up when I have stripped and cleaned it.

Any suggestions welcomed.

ByNOfBGkKGrHqMOKjkEwQgMlCEBMQy24rKVQ_12.jpg

i saw that also on the web, i have one too, below, but i have since sold that frame on, and bought a slightly better conditioned one, lovely steel bikes they are, the seller was sellkng lots of frames etc, possibly reclaimed from the local nearby tips, from another thread mentioned

I noticed they were selling a lot. I think they had a Kirk with some Manitou's but that had gone. It does look like it may have had a home in a skip but hey, one mans junk and all that.

Your's looked OK. What were the brakes like? I always wanted a set but heard that they aren't all that reliable.

Clean it up and ride it!

I'm in the process of 'not quite' retro building my brothers old Lava Dome. Problem is, as it's coming together I can't imagine myself riding it and getting the new paint and stickers dirty! :roll:

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Its going to get a good jetwash when I have taken the headset out. I'll look at it then when its clean but it does look like its been used as a cats scratching post in some places. I'd rather not spend money and time getting it re-painted but it might need it (and i'm a tart at heart and will want it looking good). Will get some more pics up when its clean of some details.

Back