95 Kona Explosif

renaldo

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My first attempt at a retro build, so please be kind and apologies for the modern bits. Its pretty much done except for swapping the Pace's for some TB Project 2s and might swap the outer chainring. Anyway, the details and some pics:

Frame: Kona Explosif 1995
Fork: Pace RC36

Headset: Kona Control Centre
Stem: Answer ATAC
Bar: Answer Hyperlite
Grips: Kona Jack Shit

Brakes: Paul Motolite
Brake Pads: Kool Stop
Brake Cables: Shimano XTR
Brake Levers: Paul Love levers

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT M740
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M737
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M737
Derailleur Cables: Shimano XTR
Cassette: Shimano Deore XT M737
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Middleburn
Chainrings: Middleburn
Pedals: Bontrager SPDs

Hubs: Hope Ti
Rims: Mavic X517 SUP Ceramic
Hub Skewers: Hope
Tyres: Schwalbe Nobby Nic / Racing Ralph Evo folding 26 x 2.1

Saddle: Fizik Gobi
Seatpost: Control Tech

Weight: ~24lbs

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

Brilliant, fantastic frame and looks in pretty much the best condition I've seen one in.

I personally would keep the Pace, you'll only make it a slower bike if you put a P2 on it. Kona never sold it with a P2, so there's no retro-obsession argument for going rigid.

The only things I would change are the stem, as I think it would handle better with a shorter one, and the big ring which doesn't play nicely with the frame colour.

The Columbus Max Explosifs were stiff, efficient, impressive-looking bikes, designed to be raced. I just think they need butch-looking parts, not fancy like that ring. Aside from that, it looks great in my eyes.

Lovely - the best-looking Explosifs of all (IMHO of course).

By the way, I bought a '95 Explosif frame a few years ago and it came with Project 2 forks, which the seller assured me were what it came with when new - I think that "Messiah" also has a '95 which he bought new with Project 2's.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm going to give the P2s a go as I wasn't sure the Pace's suited it either and while I'm sure it'd be a quicker bike with them I think it might be more fun without :D I thought Kona did offer P2s on the 95 Explosif too - in the catalogue they are shown with the Marzocchis but they give bike weights with P2s as well.

I like the stem but might experiment with a shorter one, and yes that outer chainring has to go!

I'll take some close-ups when I get a chance too.

Back