1983 Ritchey Commando

tam_shadow

Old School Hero
The Commando was originally built from "spares" by Tom for a painter who used to work for him, then purchased in the early 90s by a good friend of mine. SN is 20B54 which puts the frame at 1983 so my best guess is a late 1984 early 1985 build from left over parts. It had been languishing in a loft for a long time, I finally made an offer to "caretake" the bike and spent a little time and effort getting it running in 1985 specs.

I sourced a set of RM20 rims (rear was RM20 front was Saturne - still have em stashed), rear derailleur had been replaced in the 90s with an LX so ebay provided a deerhead unit. I used the ever popular Timbuk-II reissues for rubber, removed the cammo rack (also stashed) and added a Hite Rite...the rest of the bits came with the bike including Campy QRs and green lever covers.

...enough talk...

rc_01.jpg

rc_02.jpg

rc_03.jpg

rc_04.jpg

rc_05.jpg

Some lovely old iron to drool over this morning. Very very nice. Thanks for sharing :cool:

:D

Commandos, more so than other vintage mtb's, look great worn and weathered. This is the only bike left on my wish list, that I still have not acquired. (I wouldn't turn down a bunch, but not actively looking, nor could I afford them if I were).

Very cool; thanks for sharing.

(shame about that early brown Avocet; it's the same one from the catalog photo...sweet)

Beautifull & a great offroader. They do not make them like that anymore.

Latest posts

Back