First MTB back up and running - Kona Lava Dome 1991

Rosescapes

Retro Newbie
Just on a trip back to the UK and dragged my old 1991 Kona Lava Dome down from the loft and got it running again. Also added some decals I had got having had the frame powder coated about 10 years ago! Thought I'd post a photo in case anyone interested. Still rides great I pleased to say. Even found the old papers - guess I really should have a clear out some time!

Attachments

• DSC_0295.JPG
    DSC_0295.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 1,747
  • DSC_0301.JPG
    DSC_0301.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 1,747
  • DSC_0313.JPG
    DSC_0313.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 1,747
Wow that is smart looking bike to have been in the loft :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Kona

Are you going to back/up spec it with full on retro kit? Love that colour!
Thought '91 models had Canti's with the dog bone seat post stop collar? yours has a V brake stop, was this added later? :? Also they had captive seat clamp bolts not collars. more like a little later version? Nice whatever though.

I like that alot!. Nice blue 2. BTW I had a Purple lavadome back in the day.. must have been early ninetys..b4 it got nicked :roll:

They are lovely

Re: Kona

Wold Ranger":3fdf7b1c said:
Thought '91 models had Canti's with the dog bone seat post stop collar? yours has a V brake stop, was this added later? :? Also they had captive seat clamp bolts not collars. more like a little later version? Nice whatever though.

Not thinking of changing kit at all really as still purring! Think I'll wait until I break something although wouldn't mind finding an original Kona 165 handlebar and get the old X-lite bar ends back on :)

Right on all counts on the technical although was an earlier plastic (useless in my opinion!) version of dog bone collar. Back in the 90's I tried to keep it up to date as best I could so got it changed over to V brakes which meant getting a cable guide welded on (see photo) and at the same time I had the fixed seat clamp cut off as often caught leg on rather over sized quick release. Never found a simple bolted collar that fitted though until recently - saw Salsa has a good range of sizes so thinking of getting one if I can find stock (black or silver I think). Need 30mm dia taking measurement roughly unless anyone knows differently.

Attachments

• DSC_0300.JPG
    DSC_0300.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,595
passiflora":1n0e0u72 said:
I like that alot!. Nice blue 2. BTW I had a Purple lavadome back in the day.. must have been early ninetys..b4 it got nicked :roll:

They are lovely

Thanks - colour worked out well I think and powder coating has proven so durable compared to the old paint. Was originally purple too - see clip from catalogue below......

Attachments

• DSC_0312.JPG
    DSC_0312.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,593
Re: Kona

Rosescapes":2ut39u62 said:
Wold Ranger":2ut39u62 said:

....and continuing on the list of changes made to the bike (mainly due to the destructive nature of millstone grit mixed with rain found wherever I rode in the Peak District during happy uni days!):
- wheels upgraded after squaring originals with Mavic 231's on DX hubs
- Middleburn rings
- chain and cassette
- LX rear derailleur circa 1996?
- Smoke rear tyre
- BB - now sealed unit and SO much better
- whole 'flight deck'! STX headset after the Impact headset became too notched, Kore stem with quill adapter, Azonic bar, 'V' levers and STX (I think) 7 speed shifters as 500LX started playing up in first couple of weeks. Ran DX thumbies until they started dying. And finally some free-with-a-mag grips!

Attachments

• DSC_0298.JPG
    DSC_0298.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 1,586
  • DSC_0308.JPG
    DSC_0308.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,586
  • DSC_0309.JPG
    DSC_0309.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,586
  • DSC_0319.JPG
    DSC_0319.JPG