Kestrel MXZ with Rockshox

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
just thought I would show the old kestrel off, lot of newbies since this got shown off last time so its a chance for those to see her ;)

same one but have swapped out the tange switchblades for the rockshox RS1, just for a change. ➡️

kestrelmxz.jpg

kestrelmxz2.jpg

kestrelmxz4.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00137.jpg

DSC00138.jpg

kestrelmxz3.jpg

I really do appreciate the 'newness' (is that even a word?) of that bike but I have to say that it hurts me to know that its not getting thrashed round a hill somewhere. Nice though. Forks suit it.

Took her out today for a 'road' trial to see how the forks kept up and unfortunately they lost pressure pretty damn quick :(
They have been stood int shed for a while since 'bikeshopowner' serviced them so I shouldnt be supprised really, will get it taken in to the LBS to see if they can do anything as I do like the look and would like to keep em on a rather than swapping back to the original prestige or switchblade so we'll see how I get on.

So you can see this bike has been thrashed at some time in its life, heres what it looked like before I refurbished it ➡️

b2c6daca.jpg

just for the record ,
I do like to keep my bikes clean - I always clean them after a ride, always have done , I aint gonna take pictures of a mucky bike just to make it look 'used' Also I admit, I don't really get out thrashing my bikes on hill as much as I would like since the belly got me, gets in the way of the knees you know :LOL:
Maybe one day I might just turn up at a retro meet so you can see how unfit I am ;)

glad you all like the forks though, just hope they can work out in the long run.

Bike looks amazing mate!

Love the fact they've still got the original Rock Shox stickers on too...nice!

Rich

That is a bloody lovely resto job you've done retrobikeguy.. Is it light? Was never into Kestrels to be honest, maybe it was a monocoque-not-tubes thing :?: What year is it?

Those Turner Shox do look perfecto :cool:

the fork decals are repro's,

Was gonna get some real ones from't states with the paul turner lettering on them but they were pricey and I was skint at the time, never mind got these decals cheap from this site and they look good enough.

Year - they were first made in 1988, not sure exactly what year mine are

http://s30.photobucket.com/pbwidget.../Kestrel MXZ/1181289111.pbw&os=1&t=1181289400

as for weight , never weighed it, will try and weigh it at home some time .

;)

Stunning!!! :shock:

I badly wanted one of these back in the day, but the frame cost about 4 times as much as the car i was driving at the time!

I like that a lot though :D

Back