my new aluminium O build thread update 10/03/11

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
so, some of you will remember from the other day this thread:-

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

well it has arrived, i'm sort of pleased :? :) basically in the pics on ebay i couldn't see the toptube properly, i should have asked for a couple of extra pics but i didn't :roll: if i had i would have seen that the toptube has a decal cock up on it!! :roll: it says " aluminiumio" not "aluminium O", i can't believe that cock up, that bob jackson would have done it? my guess is the customer got it wrong and asked them to do it when resprayed, i sure BJ's would know better . . . i hope. it's one of their painted stickers if that makes sense so can not be removed.

also the canti bridge has been very neatly removed on the seat stays (which i was happy about) but so have both cable stops for the rear brake on the top tube which means that any cable will now have to zip tied or clamped somehow :roll: also it's a high sheen finish meaning it's a "wet" paint job which tend to be fragile, it's had a few chips, some quite large that have been touched in. my other ali O done by BJ has a lot tougher finish and has survived un chipped for nearly 2 years now so it shows how colour choice and paint type are very important even if your using the same painter.

i could have lived with the chips and the removel of the brake bosses but the incorrect decal on the toptube is totally unforgivable!! :shock: :x

so after sitting and looking at it i have decided i'll get it painted, a cheapish job, meaning a powder coat job then i'll get some good decals done more than likely by Sir Gil of M ;) i will go for black though as this will be easy fast and cheap to do and the local guys will also strip the old paint off. then i'll build it sensible ;)

here's a couple of pics

Attachments

• new ali O frame.jpg
    new ali O frame.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,111
  • someone can't spell!.jpg
    someone can't spell!.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 2,111
  • toptube.jpg
    toptube.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,111
i'm guessing that this is what it looked like before, this is not this actual frame but i think it would have looked like this then maybe they thought it said "aluminium 10" or something?! and then also buggered up the sizing/spacing etc

Attachments

• orange_aluminium_o_ff_285.jpg
    orange_aluminium_o_ff_285.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 2,096
Nice frame

Nice frame - interesting to see the canti cable router thingy has been 'shaved' off? What happened to the spelling of aluminium on the top tube - crazy?

Might want to read the first post, rather than just looking at the pretty pictures. :roll: ;)

Why would you remove the cable stops but leave the canti mounts :? Shame about the bodge as it looks ace apart from that. Sure it'll turn out well though. ;) :D

Funny, I was watching this on the bay, and was put off straight away by that top-tube cock-up :cry: :cry: :? :?

Still, I'm going to enjoy watching where you go with this, as I am also building a black Alu'O' at the moment ;) ;) :cool: :cool:

just dropped it off at the powder coaters! :D he said he'd have it done later in the week, said he will be stripping it first and i've gone for the highest gloss finish they have so hopefully it should look quite tidy when i get it back. :D

update . . . bit pissed off really . . . this is turning into a right dogs dinner!! :x :roll:

basically at the powder coaters they shot blast or whatever the frame, which is fine by me, then they powdercoat the frame, the problem lies with whatever has been done previously to the frame. basically the frame has 8 holes in the toptube!! :shock: my guess is that the frame had some cable stops riveted to the toptube, these were removed for some reason then the holes were filled, then the frame was painted so the owner would then have to zip tie a cable to the frame. why someone would do this totally beyond me but maybe they had the rear canti hanger removed and the dimwit who did that removed the cable guides thinking they were supposed to be coming off aswel.

basically it means i'm gonna need to find some guides to rivet back on. i have looked around all my bikes for inspiration and strangely my condor road bike has the ideal type of fitting so i am gonna see if i can get a couple of those, if it wasn't for the holes i would have done what condor did on my single speed with a washer and a ziptie but i can't do that now as it would leave 8 unsightly holes.

here's a few pics to explain, feel free to be appauled by the stupidity. :roll: :x

Attachments

• newly powder coated.jpg
    newly powder coated.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,858
  • close up of finish, needs cleaning etc though.jpg
    close up of finish, needs cleaning etc though.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,857
  • rivet holes for brake cable stops.jpg
    rivet holes for brake cable stops.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,858
  • my other ali O's top tube.jpg
    my other ali O's top tube.jpg