1997 Kona Explosif -more neo retro updates

Epoch

Dirt Disciple
DSC007Large.jpg

Frame: Kona Explosif 1997 in gold (20’’ i think)

Fork: Rockshox SID Team 80mm

Headset: Chris King Sotto Voce 1 1/8
Stem: Pace RC45 120mm
Handlebar: Profile carbon over alloy
Grips: Yetti
Barends: Xlite stubby pro series plus end caps

Brakes: Shimano XTR M960 ?
Brake Pads: Shimano XTR ?
Brake Cables: Shimano XTR in grey
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR ?

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT (original)
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT (original)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT (original)
Derailleur Cables: Original (XTR grey to go on)
Cassette: Shimano XT (Original)
Chain: Shimano IG (Original)
Cranks: Sugino Mighty 900, 22/32/42 teeth
Crank Bolts: Original
Chainrings: Middle ring replace last year (Can’t remember what it was)
Chainring bolts: Original
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN52 (original)
Pedals: Wellgo WPD-700

Hub Skewers: Shimano Deore XT
Rims: Richey Rock Pro and OCR Pro (original?)
Hubs: Shimano Deore XT (original ?)
Nipples:
Spokes: DT Swiss (original?)
Tyres: (Panaracer Cedric Gracia XC 2.1
Tubes: Bontreger

Saddle: Bontreger
Seatpost: Original?
Seatpost Binder: Woodman componets (I have the original somewhere)

Weight: 26.6lb’s

DSC008Large-1.jpg

DSC009Large-1.jpg

DSC003Large-1.jpg

I've owned the Explosif since 2000, I bought it secondhand with Manitou SX forks, some high rise bars and stem and a few bits already replaced. Over the years I've added a little here and there, the flat bars, pace stem, XTR brakes etc, but have always loved riding it. The forks had lost a little of their responsiveness (rebound i think) of late and not being mechanically competent for trying a refurb i decided to again follow the replace and renew principle, While this may not be the retro bike way, it means I get to continue to ride and enjoy it.

Today I have had the forks and headset added and am over the moon with how it feels again. I have now stuck the silver "SID TEAM" sticker over the red on the forks also ;)

I doff my cap to the real retro crew, but I still love this frame and think it worth hanging new bits on.

I looked at a new bike option when the forks went soft but just don't think i could replace this with anything new I'd be attached too.

Sacriledge (more new parts) may be commited over time but this is how it looks today.

It still looks very much in the retro style to me. Anybody who would prefer the original Indy SL to that SID needs their head read. It's quite difficult to get a good colour match of a fork with the gold/mustard frame, so black is quite a good option actually.

The seat post is indeed the original O-Beam, but it looks as though the wheels have been rebuilt at some point. You've done well to preserve that nice chainset, you don't see many of them around but it looks good.

This is the original specification list (also in the archive somewhere)
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike

Columbus Max is a very sophisticated tubeset, and this frame is the last steel Kona designed as a race frame so very well worth keeping, and keeping up to date with good kit too.

Anthony":3lmpmvrk said:
It still looks very much in the retro style to me. Anybody who would prefer the original Indy SL to that SID needs their head read. It's quite difficult to get a good colour match of a fork with the gold/mustard frame, so black is quite a good option actually.

The seat post is indeed the original O-Beam, but it looks as though the wheels have been rebuilt at some point. You've done well to preserve that nice chainset, you don't see many of them around but it looks good.

This is the original specification list (also in the archive somewhere)
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike

Columbus Max is a very sophisticated tubeset, and this frame is the last steel Kona designed as a race frame so very well worth keeping, and keeping up to date with good kit too.

Thanks very much,

The chainset has been preserved mainly due to large periods of non use lol but it gets a twice weekly outing at the moment. A group of us from work (Who BTW all said i should have got rid when the forks went lol) cycle round the Chevin hillside of Otley.

I'm tempted to replace the chainset at somepoint, but that may be over winter

The forks came with red decals and then a few sets of stickers (silver, purple, pink! and amazingly yellow/gold) but the yellow/gold just didn't look right IMHO so I went for silver

This was the original red
DSC001Large-1.jpg

I never liked the red Manitou's on it really to look at but they served me well

DSC002Large.jpg

Interesting you say the wheels have been rebuilt as the previous owner must have must have done a fair bit in the first 18 months to 2 years of ownership (either he was heavier than me or just destructive lol)

It's still a superb ride, the rear really digs when climbing and it feels right.

There's a few of us that have these on here.
If it measure 20" centre bottom bracket to top of seat tube then it is, same as mine. Which after busting a part of my forks is now a none rider in the loft as I cannot afford to get another pair again!

It was a google search and posts by norton, wadsey and your good self that drew me here

Although I'm not following the OEM path currently some of the metal on here is simply stunning.

Nice bike,I`ve a 17" one with Fox F80RLC forks and full 95* XTR,unfortunately my computer doesnt like uploading images,so I cannot show how it looks,maybe I can download images at work sometime.Those Fox forks are awesome so solid and yet fluid at the same time.Like your stem as well

steelhardtailer":fupua71v said:
Nice bike,I`ve a 17" one with Fox F80RLC forks and full 95* XTR,unfortunately my computer doesnt like uploading images,so I cannot show how it looks,maybe I can download images at work sometime.Those Fox forks are awesome so solid and yet fluid at the same time.Like your stem as well

Thanks

Although the stem makes it look a bit neckie and probably slower to turn I just loved the simple one piece design for ages before getting one. When/if i change it i'll have a place on the mantle piece

Alex Creasey":2w8koetx said:
Very nice Jon... Looks well looked after and do like those Pace stems :).

Thanks Alex

It has had some pretty special car care products on it in the past including some SP show detailer V2 all helps keep it shiny ;)

Epoch":3urkbx1h said:
Alex Creasey":3urkbx1h said:
Very nice Jon... Looks well looked after and do like those Pace stems :).

Thanks Alex

It has had some pretty special car care products on it in the past including some SP show detailer V2 all helps keep it shiny ;)

I've always liked your style Jon :D

Back