Nice find and good to hear it's not cracked. You can defo get a re-spray and new decals as a few chaps on here have done just that already ;)

looks a good project
gil m has decal kits for these

not sure what your headset problem is ,looks fine in the pics
is it the stem wedge bolt your having trouble with ,is the wedge stuck
in the steerer tube ?

It's all about what you want to do with the bike. For some showroom bling of course you have to go that route of a respray and all that kind of cash burning. ;)

If you simply want to ride it and have some fun with a good looking bike here is what i would do.
Get a new stem with a noodle attached to it. That would solve two problems at once. You can get rid of the cable hanger on you headset and lock down the headset properly and you don't have to look at the sorry state of the laquer on the stem.
From what i can see the rest just needs a good cleaning.
Maybe a new black seatpost and you are good to go. All that should be possible with elbow grease and maybe 20€.
And you will have a great bike...hmm no..you have a great bike already :!:

Very nice :cool: :cool: but of course I am slight more biased than some ;) :LOL: :LOL:

I'm pretty sure Mr. Gil has these on file, if not I'm sure Mr. sinnett177 will be able to help out as he recreated some very similar to this recently.

Heaset in the picture is identical to my 1991 Al Mega DX set-up (I just went an checked ;) :LOL: ) maybe you could remove the stem, check the wedge and measure the stem bolt length.

If you need any more help, let me know, an I'll use mine as a benchmark for you ;) :cool: :D

Gorgeous :D
Estays are my fav... I really want one of these... but I have only ever seen 1 where we live, guy rides it past work everyday on his way to work. Partner said I wasn't allowed to ambush him either :LOL:

Thanks for all the replies and great advice.

I've contacted Gil and will see what he says regarding a decal set. I suppose this would let me 'refresh' the look (especially the red) without a repaint.

The wheels were part of the eBay sale, I've no idea what they're off of...

Points taken regarding the flaky stem and seatpost: I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for same-type replacements, or if anyone knows of period correct 'improvements' please let me know.

Anyone know these grips? And what the heck's happening with the seatpost binder - it's useless - is there a part missing or ??

Thanks again for all the great info. guys - always appreciated.

Cheers! :D

img4048zl.jpg

img4051.jpg

Back