1997 Dekerf Generation

canuckinboston

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Like RockiMtn, I too have been afflicted with Dekerf fever. Here is my latest snag from Craigslist. Its a 1997, petrol colour, with Ritchey Logic Prestige tubing. After a few rides it lived in the previous owner's garage since 1998 until yesterday when I bought it. Therefore aside from a few very small scratches, its near mint!

Specs: Full XT M737 gruppo with rapidfire shifters, Judy XC forks, XT hubs laced to Mavic 238 rims and XT skewers; Race Face headset and turbine LP cranks with Dekerf Rings. XT M747 pedals, Syncros seatpost and stem and Ritchey Forcelite bar and Ritchey pro saddle

This will be the first bike that I don't have to change anything (for a change)!
Bonus: my wife didn't kill me when I brought it home to join the other 3 :D

Pics:
IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

THAT is beautiful! :shock:
And Ritchey tubes give the best riding Dekerfs, in my humble opinion
(Get a red seat clampp on there though)

Yup that sure is a thing of beauty :cool:

Don't think i'd change a thing on it either except maybe the grips.

The best steel frame ever built in my opinion :D

:LOL: you make it out like I was seeking one out to add to my collection on purpose. in fact it just fell into my lap by pure opportunistic chance! ;)

however, having changed up some of the parts and riding it around the last few days, it's a treat to ride and thoroughly enjoying it!

you've done very well scoring that beauty in the condition it's in and with the selection of components on it! really does look like nothing needs to be changed on it, i'd prob leave everything on it as is myself.

but if you do perhaps go with a red seat collar, i'd be interested in the spare! ;)

I only mentioned the seat collar to match the headset. I think it needs some red there.
Is there a show us your Dekerfs thread?

Took her out for an inaugural spin today and can confirm that this is one nice ride! Its a slightly different feel from the Brodie (slightly more responsive in tight turns, even with the Brodie's rigid forks) and definitely less whippy than the Hot especially on descents. I don't know if its the difference in geometry or the difference in the type of steel but I think this is now my favourite ride of the three (untill I get the next one, I suppose :D )

It would be interesting to know the respective weights of the three frames. We are often bedevilled by the conventional assumption that lighter equals better, but maybe you'd find that the de Kerf is your favourite of the three and the heaviest of the three.

I think it's also relevant what you weigh and how hard you ride - obviously I've no idea what you weigh, but a 140lb rider might find the lightest frame was perfect, whereas a 190lb rider might find it too flexy and a heavier/stiffer frame much better.

Anthony":xnuf8qil said:
It would be interesting to know the respective weights of the three frames. We are often bedevilled by the conventional assumption that lighter equals better, but maybe you'd find that the de Kerf is your favourite of the three and the heaviest of the three.

I think it's also relevant what you weigh and how hard you ride - obviously I've no idea what you weigh, but a 140lb rider might find the lightest frame was perfect, whereas a 190lb rider might find it too flexy and a heavier/stiffer frame much better.

I haven't put it on a scale, but it is the heaviest of the three ?25 pounds. I weigh 175lbs and tend to ride very aggressively and am out of the saddle a lot. I think that the top tube is the shortest of the three which may speak to its steerability.

Latest posts

Back