1991 Klein Attitude-DOH!!!!! Sometimes you just say WTF.

GearlessinSeattle

Senior Retro Guru
Sunburst has always been my favorite color when it comes to Klein. I know that Gator is what most people seek but SB has always held a special place for me.
When one came along 2 years ago local I jumped at it without looking or riding. After 2 months I realized that it was too small for me and when a 1990 in XL popped up the Sunburst had to go.:(
So…….when I saw this one on craigslist 3 weeks ago I decided to take a chance even though a photo clearly showed a dent in the top tube, but, the price was right I again I said WTF!
Well it showed up today and DOH!, there really is a dent in the top tube.
The bike is kitted out with Suntour XC Comp, Syncros seatpost and a nice Turbo saddle. My plan was to stripe it and turn it into a lightweight single speed machine but with that dent I think it may have to be scrapped.
So, do I ride like it is and wait for it to fail?
Turn it into a town bike?
Strip it and sell the fork to some German?
Anyways, at least I have a XL Sunburst.:)

Attachments

• IMG_2524_1.JPG
    IMG_2524_1.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 3,211
  • IMG_2523_1.JPG
    IMG_2523_1.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 3,211
  • IMG_2517_1.JPG
    IMG_2517_1.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 3,211
  • IMG_2516_1.JPG
    IMG_2516_1.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 3,211

Real shame :cry:
This will maybe sound a bit far fetched, but could it possibly be repaired using compressed air to pop it out from inside in the same way that I have seen motorcycle fuel tanks repaired? I've no idea if it would work, but you never know :D

Oof that is hefty . I can't help but think that crimping the dent from the top and bottom of the tube would pop it out . I'd just ride it , ignore it and it'll go away .

Popping it out with pressure will be difficult I guess.

Maybe it can be pulled out with pullingrods or a small sliding hammer like they use for bodywork. That is if the tube allows light welding: the rods must be welded on, and if using the hammer, you need to drill a hole.

Crimping might work also. But, and if I see correct on the pictures, there is a small wrinkle underneath. Popping it out, in any which way, would mean a weak spot there. Alloy only takes one 'fold' before it goes dead.

To be more safe, I would therefore fill the toptube with high density polyurethane afterwards, some framebuilders use that also.

It looks bad from some angles, but acceptable on others. So it really is only two cents worth of advice, these things need to be checked with the naked eye.

As an alternative: cut out the middle section of the toptube and slide in a carbon replacement tube. Bruce Gordon does it, Seven too, why not you?
;)

Bummer :evil: :evil: I feel your pain as otherwise it's a lovely frame :shock: I am a poet :shock:

You really need someone who builds frame to check the alignment of the frame. If by some chance the alignment of the frame hasn't been affected and the top tube has bent it may be worth repairing it. However, depending on how much you paid this might be a lot of effort to go to. Personally I'd be tempted to keep the groupset for another project and sell off the forks, headset and maybe wheels.
If its a goner, well these bad things happen and you were taking a chance. Have some fun with it, ride it for a bit...or perhaps dismantle it and turn it into art. Alternatively lay it on its side, weld some metal feet on and put a glass sheet on top for your very own Klein coffee table ;-)

Back