Proflex Beast - Newbie

simonlpearce

Retro Newbie
Just thought i would pop along and say hello.

I was recently doing the Dragons Back trail in Cae Gwyn Wales (all 32km of it) with a group of mates, one of which pointed me in the direction of this forum.

My current bike for the past 12 years is a 96/97 (not sure on date) Proflex Beast. So far I have swapped out the following

Wheels for hope hubs on Mavic D321 rims
FSR headset
A stubby stem i cant even remember the make of
White xlite handle bars
Marazocchi Bomber Z1 forks (98/99 i think)
Wellgo Pedals
Original Crank & BB
Original SRAM 7.0 (i think) quick shift gears
New rear cassete and bottom chain ring on front, cant remember what though.
New Chain as old one snapped
Original rear suspension
Original seatpost
WTB Saddle

And the best mod of all has to be the Hayes HFX 9 disc brake upgrade. This was a bit of a pain as the post mounts changed size so i had to get some customer parts made up to get them to fit.

Here is a piccy of my Beast....(front wheel has since been re-laced on the same as the rear) - Thoughts and opinions are welcomed :D

Attachments

• DSC00210.JPG
    DSC00210.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,971
Hi mate,

That bike looks great a real blast from the past on the UK DH scene. Love the disc brake mods too.

I don't suppose you know who made the seat post do you? I've been looking for that one for my Sunn build.

Thx dude, as mentioned in the PM i will find any info on the seat post i can. I just hope i didnt cut off the bit that had the make/model/pn on.

nice proflex you got there ;) your z1's are from 96 (it'll have 96 stamped on the bottom inside of both legs and on the back of the brace ;) ) the front disc mount was made by rapid desent who just went out the game :(

i bet that turns heads everywhere ;)

It does turn heads i tell you, people are like "i havent seen a beast in years". I love it though and it has NEVER let me down, only problem is it weighs a tonne.

Front disc mount i purchased off the net, but the rear i had to get made up. Cost me £5 to have two made providing i sent them a life size template.

I think i need to replace the pedals soon as tey are rapidly losing grip, and the crank itself is is starting to creak... :(

Nice bike. Front disk mount looks cool, could you post a better pic and tell me where it came from please? I'm looking for one for my forks!

sam_white":1s1ik85w said:
Nice bike. Front disk mount looks cool, could you post a better pic and tell me where it came from please? I'm looking for one for my forks!

check my last post out ^^^^^^ ;)

As above on the front disc adapter, you can buy these online.

If anyone needs me to make template for the rear disc brake mount just drop me a message. I will have to trace round the one i have already made up as i have lost the original one but at least it should work. All you need to do then is take it to a local metal basher.

Back