1990 Muddy Fox Pathfinder - Redux

the_duke

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi there everyone,

I bought this Muddy Fox Pathfinder off ebay for £50.

This was the same model / spec / colour that I had when I was young so couldn't resist!

As I ride 20 miles a day commuting I decided that I would use modern(ish) 8 speed XT drivetrain for slick shifting. From the pics you may notice the other bits and bobs I have added. Bars, tyres, wheels, brakes. Not much left really!

All thats left to do is tune her up and add some yellow Oury grips I have waiting and a XT threaded headset. (the old one is nearly shot).

Anyway, here she is, let me know what you think. It has been quite a test as I have never worked on any of my bikes in the past, usually choosing the LBS instead!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 8,843
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 8,841
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 8,838
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 8,844
You have the retro bug then :razz:

Looks great and think you have done a cracking job, I will always have a spot for early MF's, they were great and have stood the test time with their bombproof frames.

So what you gunna have for your next project then :LOL:

Cheers fellas, I love the deore thumbies too (sourced very reasonably here). Much improved over the suntour xpress standard equipment.

I have found that in this game, every time I go to add or fix something I always need another part or tool!

I have an ball burnished Avalanche frame from the late 90's in the garage, am tempted to try my hand at polishing and SS! . . . Just don't tell the Mrs.

That is lovely, glad to see you lost all perspective regarding sorting it out!(my first mountain bike was the same as that).

I, like a lot of other people on here I am sure do, I regret selling my first mtb. At the time I was young and skint so the money I got was needed to fund a new fangled aluminium framed bike with front suspension (which I still have).

I must admit to looking at E bay to see if I could find another.

Nice.

One small bit that I would do though is upgrade the pedals and chainset.

Otherwise, a tidy refurb.

Think you are right pickle. Iv been on the lookout for some nice shiny xt or lx cranks but money has been tight.

My favourites are the White industrries ones. I would prob end up needing new bb axle aswell knowing my luck so far!

Finished . . . . sort of! I have been a bit distracted by my Bigfoot lately and the MF has sat unloved in the garage.

As I was waiting for a few parts to arrive anyway I thought I should get this uptogether.

I fitted some italmanubri (ITM) bars, OURY grips, and wider IRC Mythos (no longer needed on the BF ;)) I also re-fitted the original MF saddle and some Wellgo pedals.

Is only "sort of" finished as It is currently wearing the original rear wheel with a knackered axle, horrid cranks, and shot BB!. I got a LX crank dirt cheap but the BB axle is too long and I dont have the correct tool(s) to remove it myself. LBS here I come!

Anyhoo, see what you think!

p1010409s.jpg

It rides really well (if a bit heavy) but I confess its not gone on the muddy stuff yet. I certainly wouldnt describe it as WDS :LOL:

Latest posts

Back