1992 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer Rebuild

Alex Creasey

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well the old WTR as it was and had been for a few years. Used and always enjoyed but in need of some TLC.

DSC02839.jpg

As previously mentioned in an earlier thread, I've owned this from new and I think this is something like the 5th or 6th reincarnation now ;)

Anyway...Everything off for a thorough clean:

DSC05753_resize.jpg

DSC05754_resize.jpg

DSC05751_resize.jpg

Some things will be used on other builds, some put back on the WTR and plenty of new bits to add to. I’ve always loved the classic bikes from when I was in my teens but also like new components to work with them.

Once all the bit’s & pieces were gathered together and put on, this is what it looks like now… Hope it doesn’t offend any Mountain Goat purists too much!

DSC05800_resize.jpg

DSC05799_resize.jpg
DSC05796_resize.jpg

DSC05794_resize.jpg

DSC05802_resize.jpg

DSC05803_resize.jpg

DSC05791_resize.jpg

DSC05795_resize.jpg

DSC05790_resize.jpg

Just a couple of bits still to add… Chainstay protector, new Middleburn chainrings and a slimmer set of polished Toplines:

DSC05755_resize.jpg

Full spec:

Frame: 1992 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer

Fork: Magura / Rond Quake

Headset: Shimano Deore 600
Stem: Race Face Deus XC
Handlebar: Ritchey WCS
Grips: ODI lock-on

Brakes: XTR 970
Brake Pads: XTR
Brake Cables: Jagwire
Brake Levers: XTR 970

Shifters: XT Thumbshifters
Front Derailleur: XT 732 (?)
Rear Derailleur: XT 739
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire
Cassette: HG70 8sp
Chain: N/A
Cranks: Middleburn RS7 (soon to be Polished Toplines)
Chainrings: Pace 36 / Middleburn 50 (soon to bee Middleburn 36 & 50)
Chainring bolts: A2Z
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Time Atac

Hub Skewers: A2Z
Wheels: Spinergy Xyclone Race
Tyres: Geax Saguaro’s (or Halo Twin Rails most of the time)
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium
Seatpost: Syncros

Many thanks for looking and a big thanks to all those I’ve met and pm’d so far and have had many conversations with over current builds. A great bunch of people here :).

Cheers.
Alex :cool: .

I salute your thought time effort and dosh you have spent on the old dear but OMG :shock:

The frame looks nice ;)

cchris2lou":1raas198 said:
:shock:

oh dear , not to my taste , but as long as you enjoy it . :D

x2. Looks like you've put a lot of time, thought and effort into that for which I salute you. Some elements work quite well I reckon. A little too much 'wet white' for my taste and those forks look a little burly too.

I think you know how I feel about all that white stuff....... :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

It's certainly a contrast to the frame colours, but as I didn't really acknowledge Mtn Goat BITD, I for one, like it in a quirky kinda way...

I think it needs white cranks too, btw... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If it was a black frame that would be ACE*. As it is, all the whiteness rather distracts from the loveliness of the frame IMHO.

Do you really run your shifters at that angle?

*This is NOT a suggestion to paint it ;-)

You must have a really really long torso and be way over your bars to run your shifters and levers like that. Why are the brake arms taped?

Not my taste since it's pretty ghetto. Big effort though!

Thankyou for all the constructive criticism one and all :).

To answer the question about the shifters and levers... I've got long fingers and thats where they are comfortable.

Tape on the lever... I'd forgotten to take it off before the pics :oops: lol.

Cheers.
Alex :cool: .

Back