Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:19 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Ribble R4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:01 am 
Dirt Disciple

Anyone else got one of these then? I'm convinced I'm the only person to ever buy one...

Its a Ribble R4, 7005 Frame, Mavic X517 wheels, Shimano XT and LX components, Sugino cranks and chainrings to get a decent high gear. Flite titanium saddle...

Had it for donkeys year now and its been brilliantly reliable...

Will 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:01 am 
Dirt Disciple

Heres a picture

Will :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:58 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Interesting mixture of dates. X517 rims came out in 98, canti bridges died out in 96, 39cm rigid forks hung around a lot longer than maybe they should.

I had a TotalBike in 1998 with a test of a Ribble, I think it was an R4, although the tubes were round on that and yours don't look round. The usual thing - Ribble or Merlin vs big brand names. The Ribble was by far the lightest, by far the best equipped, had the best frame, had hand-built 517 wheels, but they hated it. Ribble had clearly had to fit a P2 fork in order to get to the price point of the group test, the frame needed a longer fork, so the head angle was 72 degrees, the handling was twitchy and of course none of the testers knew why. So they panned the bike. Put a decent fork on it and it was by far the best bike there, but the testers didn't know that. Soon afterwards, I noticed Ribble stopped selling mtb frames/builds and stopped advertising in mtb magazines!

Looking at yours, it does look as though it has quite a lot of bottom bracket drop, which is an indicator of fork too short for frame, so possibly a set up similar to the TotalBike R4. Obviously you like it as it is, but I just wonder whether you ever thought of trying it with suspension? A Z2 Bomber might suit it nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:24 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Top memory that chap!

Looks like I misguessed the date I bought it, I was sure it was pre-'97 I got it :?

The wheels were fitted when it was new. It may have been the same article that made me buy it, the article I read had it easily the lightest (as you said) and very good for climbing (its bloody hilly round here). I had intended swapping the kona project 2 forks from my old Cindercone but it got nicked before I had a chance :shock:

Most of my riding is hardpacked paths and roads so theres no need for dragging hefty suspension forks around, my elbows seem to do a half decent job still ;)

It is as you rightly say pretty twitchy but you get used to it fairly quickly, if it doesn't throw you off and kill you the first time you ride it.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:25 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Oh and you are right the tubes aren't round on mine 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:38 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

I see about 4 every week!

The proximity of the old shop might affect that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:46 pm 
Retro Guru

i used to have a ribble r8 bitd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:47 am 
Retro Guru

Ribble Bikes bring back memories. I had a '95 road bike made of Reynolds 531 frame and fork, with Campag Veloce.

Traded it in for a '04 Giant road bike. Alluminium frame, carbon forks, shimano 105........what a mistake. Made me realise how good that Ribble was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:48 am 
Retro Guru

Ribble Bikes bring back memories. I had a '95 road bike made of Reynolds 531 frame and fork, with Campag Veloce.

Traded it in for a '04 Giant road bike. Alluminium frame, carbon forks, shimano 105........what a mistake. Made me realise how good that Ribble was.

Post subject: Steel Ribble MTB's
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:39 pm 
Retro Guru

I had one which was identical to a Kona in appearance, I swapped it for a TV with a mate who owned a LBS. It was an unclaimed repair [about 4 years].

The frame was 4 oz lighter than my Lava Dome and pinged better with the scientific fingernail flick test.

Another of lifes "wish Id kept it bikes".