1995 Marin Team Titanium *pics added*

beavis

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
O.k, I like retro Marins but never thought I'd own a Ti one as I always considered them to be too much wonga to spend on an old bike (now theres a discusion just on its own..) and the last four that I saw on eBay sold for an average of £500. But after my mate Brocklanders had just purchased his Ti content to fit in his Orange collection and this one came up for sale, I started thinking that it could just maybe present a slightly cheaper way in to owning one...

It had been converted into a commuter, with slicks, some modern bits and mudguards - and a fresh coat of orangey coloured spray paint. This did raise doubts as to its authenticity as a Ti frame but the remaining components were consistent with the '95 spec and the positioning of the cable bosses etc seemed right.

So the deal was sealed and myself and Brock set off once again on one of our infamous road trips to collect - the longest yet at 440 miles to be precise, however it must be said that the drive into Cardiff was really quite nice indeed (sun, mountains etc) and when we got there the guy selling was also a sound chap. Not least because when we asked if he had any of the original bits left he came up with the Maintou EFC's that he said we could have for an extra tenner if I wanted them ( :D )

Needless to say I was well chuffed with my purchase and looked forward to transforming it back into more of what I considered to be a useable retrobike so I didn't have to get my lovely Pine Mountain dirty again (still need some new rims for that). So it wasn't long before work began and the plan was to strip everything down, take the paint off, clean all the bits, service the parts I wanted to keep and sell/swap the rest for the bits I needed. I wasn't going to be too fussy about the overall condition, in fact a few scuffs and scratches would be welcomed as I knew full well that if I insisted on making it perfect that it would never be ridden! (how many of you know that one..? :LOL: )

Having said that, the bike already came with a few ano red bits that I quite liked so kept the theme in mind when procuring new parts for it like the seat post and inner chainring. Speaking of the seatpost, the frame turned out to be just as the '94 MBUK mag said by way of the seat tube being slightly too big for the 27.2mm post. I got it wrong a few times but in the end a 25-27.4mm USE shim sufficed.
Anyway, Nitromorse. Hurts like f*@k when you get it square in the eyeball but pretty good at shifting Halfords spray paint when used correctly. Basically follow the instructions on the tin to the letter, plenty of cold water and a stiff old toothbrush will do the trick - I'd say 8hrs straight to do a medium sized frame although I spread that out over a couple of weeks, culminating in a last ditch attempt to complete the job at midnight over a few cans (and the rest) of Bud. Hmmm, midnight drunken nitromorsing...interesting. But when morning came the end result was good enough for me and even revealed the imprints of where the original Marin decals had been, the outline of which could be seen to read "team titanium" on the Top Tube, putting to bed any last remaining doubts that this was indeed genuine.

By no means finished but up and running and a rolling project to change as and when funds permit. It rides nicely though, more stretched than my PM and with slightly narrower bars. Accelerates faster than what I'm used to(!) and there is spring in the frame from the rear but not quite as much as Brocks Vit-T, the Marin seems stiffer, maybe it's because the Ti there is 6.4A rather than 3A/2.5V like the rest? I dunno.
Not been far on it yet but hope to sort that one out at the DBW in August :D See you there!

Original spec is currently as follows;
Frame 17.5" (with Gil Decals)
Maintou EFC (optional when new)
Mavic 230 rims on White Industries front and XT rear hubs
White Industries cranks
Marin Lite Stem (n.o.s)
Marin Lite Handlebar (n.o.s)
Marin USA needle Headset
Marin Lite Front Cantis
LX bottom bracket
XT shifters & levers
XT rear mech
XT front mech
XT pedals

Non original spec;
Marin Rockstar Sierra 2.1 tyres
USE seatpost
Flite Ti saddle
Ritchey foam grips (close match)
KMC chain
Specialities/Middleburn rings
XT rear cantis
XTR cassette

Weighing in at 25.25lbs (3.6lbs frame).

More pics to follow...

Attachments

• Photo-0096.jpg
    Photo-0096.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 6,488
  • Photo-0034.jpg
    Photo-0034.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 6,488
I really don`t know...the front fenderlooks like s...

But hey,it`s TI,luxury on a commuter,and anyway it is a wolf in sheeps clothes!

Great transformation. How much did you get it for in the end if you dont mind me asking? Saw it on the ebay thread but forgot to check.

Nice its a rider rather than a garage queen.

One of those rare gambles that pays off!

Really enjoyed seeing it rise from the flames 1st hand dude, a superb effort :cool:

BTW, get some more pictures up. ;)

coomber":2af3u5ku said:
Great transformation. How much did you get it for in the end if you dont mind me asking? Saw it on the ebay thread but forgot to check.

Nice its a rider rather than a garage queen.

It was £255 with the Manitous, but spent a bit more on it since then :roll:

Some more pics...

Attachments

• Photo-0080.jpg
    Photo-0080.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 6,282
  • Photo-0079.jpg
    Photo-0079.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 6,282
  • Photo-0076.jpg
    Photo-0076.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 6,282