96 Barracuda A2E

Hi
I am new hear but from what I see you will all understand.
Decided a little while ago that I wanted to give a steel MTB a go and stumbled across this Barracuda as pictured.

main.php

Came as you see it with 2 sets of Mag 21's(both still hold air!), XTR rear dérailleur, XT front dérailleur, and barracuda branded bars.

Plan at this sage is to collect the rest of the parts needed to keep it period and refinish the frame.

My first question of many is:
What finish has been used on the frame?. It looks like its clear coated over the steel on the front then with a red pearl over that on the back. I have done a bit of searching and people seem to say that the clear coat over steel will rust in a year or two, this one is 15 years old and is only just showing signs of rust on the clear section and nothing on the chain stays that are very badly chipped.

main.php

main.php

I would like to have the frame refinished as original so can any one help with what the original finish was and what I can do to get it re finished the same way.
Remember I plan to ride the bike so it will have to be durable as I often run into rocks.

Cheers

Cool Barracuda! ;)

Can't really help you with the paint. Maybe refinish the front with silver paint to help durability but keep the same look?

If you respray it you should definitely sort out new decals, I think a sparkling silver/grey front and dark sparkly red end would be a good idea. I have a cuda too (a2r), and it's nice to see another one around. :)

Great project, I think Barracudas are really good looking bikes.

The Ti colour at the front is called Ti Plated. I have no idea how much, if any, titanium is involved. My guess is none but Parkpre also did this type finish of finish on there bikes and also called it Ti plate so maybe there's something in it?

I think its worth giving the surface rust on the front section a rub with some fine grade wet and dry to see if it'll come off.

The frame is made of Tange Prestige Ultimate SL. Here is a link to a catalogue from '95 when your bike was sold.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/27893284/Barracuda-95

Bram J
Thanks for that, I too like the silver red combo and want to keep it that way. You mentioned the decals I will definitely be needing some do you know where I can get some from
I am having a go at tracing some photos of them using vector graphics program but because they are not on a flat tube they get distorted at the top & bottom. I need a good quality image of some flat ones & I will get a much better result.

CTK
Thanks heaps for that I will take the frame around to some electro platers her in Perth during the week to see what they can do for me. I know one the does power-coating as well so I may be able to get the red candy finisk put on the back as well, one stop shop. I think the few spots of rust on the top tube would rub off but I would prefer to have the frame refinished to a good standard as it sets the level for the rest of the parts I decide to use, but thanks for the adv

Yes, it looks like it is going to be an interesting project. I knew nothing about Barracuda's and this lot just fell in my lap. Have asked a few friends for any bits they have in their sheds to help the build along and I now have a Religh Technium with Pace forks & XT bits and a Sintesi Snake frame as well. Went from no projects to three part bikes in two weeks.

I have to collect some parts as I want to have the project finished by the end of September for our annual 3 day MTB ride on the Munda Biddi trail.

Been a bit busy to keep this updated so here it is all at once.

Spent a lot of time reading a bucket loads of posts here and found a stack of useful information and some much needed inspiration.

First of all I have finally got the refinishing of the frame under way. I have decided to have the frame re finished as per original, plated with a candy red rear triangle, it turned out to be a three shop process.

The plater that I ended up with took one look at the bike and went no problem its a satin chrome finish over a linished steel tube and he had done a number of bike frames this way before. Only problem was he couldn't remove the powder coating as his stripping tank wasn't big enough.
Shop two was an industrial chrome shop that had a big enough tank for the frame to be stripped in, (he is doing this for a carton of beer!!).
Shop three is the powder coater for the metallic red candy and final all over clear coat.
All up should be done in four weeks.

Here are some of the other parts, I don’t have a shed full of bits to choose from so I have had to source most of these bits from around the place (including here).
Found a NOS Barracuda branded stem to match the bars. I was thinking of polishing them but didn’t want to remove the logos and they would look a little strange with them being polished all except for where the logos are.

100_1478.JPG

100_1479.JPG

Found some bar ends that I liked the shape of but didn’t match the colour scheme, so I removed the purple anno and polished them, sorry to all of the purple anno lovers out there. Never realised exactly how hard the anodising was until you have to remove it. Got to love a Dremel.

Barracuda%20Bar%20Ends%20%282%29.jpg

In keeping with my intended colour scheme the original kalloy will be replaced with a red one. Got this one cheaply from eBay, not quite sure whether to remove the white Uno branded and leave it all red, any suggestions? Also is a red quick release will probably change this along the way.

100_1496.JPG

Next to the cranks. Found some red Cook Brothers racing F’s(I think). Not scratched, tapers & threads are excellent rust has a bit of ankle rub. Would look at getting them re anodised red and then sand blasting the logo back on but there not too bad & I want to give them a go as is.

100_1489.JPG

100_1490.JPG

Cranks came with these 'Real" branded chain rings & I think they are quite a piece of art. Machined front & back, including the ramps, from a solid billet. Not in too bad a shape, so I will be using these

100_1482.JPG

100_1485.JPG

Now on to the groupset. M900 of course what else.
Picked up a set of shifters and cantilever brakes that had been fitted to a display bike and never used. The only mark is on the callipers from the clamps for the pads. Th rear mech was on the bike , shows some signs of use and the front came from here.

100_1513.JPG

100_1509.JPG

100_1510.JPG

Have also received the cables. Decided to go with he Swiss comp here.

100_1519.JPG

Have also spent a lot of time in front of a vector graphics program to copy the decals. Not quite done yet I have to do the head tube decal then find someone to print them for me.

stickers.jpg

Last thing done - the Mag 21's. Stripped & repainted. Didn't completely strip them as there were no marks on the stanchion's and I don't have the tools to do the job propely. When I received them they were still full of clean oil and hold air.

A2E%20Photos.jpg

Now waiting on a delivery of shiny new fasteners from Jersey Cycles.

On the yet to get list:
Saddle- Would like a red flite (any suggestions)
Grips- ???
Pedals- ???
Wheels & Tyres

Any suggestions or comments welcomed.

I like where this is going very much!
Sorry I didn't reply to you about the decals, I haven't read your question till just now. I wouldn't have been able to help you out though, I've been after a set of decals myself but had no idea where to find some or how to make some. If you happen to make some spare decals I would defo be interested in buying some of you. Don't want to benefit in a sneaky way from your hard work though.
Really looking forward seeing this project finished.

Back