1989 Raleigh Appalachian

broadway

Devout Dirtbag
Went to Dundee today only had a couple of hours so picked up the bike, parked up outside RSS Discovery for a photo.

4703710731_a69dc1de65_b.jpg

Then a quick ride and found HMS Unicorn.

4704352484_63ed676d13_b.jpg

A couple more on the Tay.

4704351334_1e1814642d_b.jpg

and the Tay Bridge

4703711459_1b1768e468_b.jpg

The rear mudguard was broken and removed by the vendor. A few scratches, mainly on the forks. Date is December 1988 so most likely an 1989 model.

Well pleased.

ahhh so you got it

was posted in macretro by the ken
thought about buying it and raping it of the groupset

I've got an 1989 Ozark, so I occcasionally search for other models in the range. Did a google search and found 2 references, one on here, the other in gumtree. lol

The Ozark has U brakes so this should be more pratical. I was unsure about the colour scheme, but it looks a lot nicer in the real life than I expected .

The frame is 531 butted main tubes and a 531 brazed unicrown fork.

It still has the reflectors on :)

Attachments

• forks.JPG
    forks.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 3,632
Ooh - '89 Ozark - rarest of the rare! I have an '87 and recently parted with an '88. The '89 range was really short lived as they dumped all the models and bought out new ones after a couple of months.

The Appalachian looks awesome!

terryhfs":3sptjsuc said:
Ooh - '89 Ozark - rarest of the rare! I have an '87 and recently parted with an '88. The '89 range was really short lived as they dumped all the models and bought out new ones after a couple of months.

The Appalachian looks awesome!

yes, really pleased with.

Actually I only think its an 89 Ozark as page 13 is missing from the pdf of the catalogue and all I can see of the frame number is WS, the rest is under the bottom bracket cable guide :)

Very, very nice, not my favourite of the '89 range but still nice and it looks unused.
The Ozark IIRC did not exist in '89 it was replaced in '89 by the Thunderroad in the range, which went Cajun (531 frame, cr-mo fork, Exage Trail), Thunderroad (same frame and fork as Cajun, XCD6000 group), Appalachian (531 frame and fork, Deore II group), Avanti (531 fraem and fork, XT II group). With a rare team rep being a repainted Thunderroad.
The 1990 range is a bit of a mystery as I seem to remember all the bikes being updated with slightly steeper angles and T-bone type stems with longer/flatter reach. It's the team rep from 1990 I really want.

Carl.

>The Ozark IIRC did not exist in '89 it was replaced in '89 by the >Thunderroad in the range,

It was - but not before they'd made a few - hence it's rarity.

The 87 was red/black, 88 was red/white and the 89 had a similar colour scheme to this Appalachian with a purpley sort of downtube.

Back