1989 Overbury's Pioneer - Smuguards!

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
By the powers of Osmosis, certain handshakes and the involvement of a small novelty trumpet, I am now the proud owner of a genuine Overbury's.

A BIG thanks to keitht and also his new addiction to Klein which freed this up.

I originally collected the bike from the second owner who looked as if he was about to burst into tears as I loaded it up into the car. He had had it 2nd hand from about 1990 when he bought this for about £800. It had then been in his ownership ever since. Unfortunately it had become a garage ornament getting covered in household paint and other nasty stuff. He decided to clean it up and sell it so somebody could make good use of it.

I collected this for Keith, grew rather attached to it after stripping it for the courier. Low and behold a few weeks later a PM drops in my box asking if I wanted it.

Hell yeah, since joining this site my knowledge of early UK steel has expanded ten fold so to be able to actually own what is now quite a rare beast was not to be turned down.

Its not perfect, theres gunk on the rear stays to protect them, a strange choice of rustless spokes and rust has pitted the stem but aside from that, it was like stepping back to 1989....

Attachments

• Sunny Overbury's.jpg
    Sunny Overbury's.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 9,713
  • Sunny Overbury's 1.jpg
    Sunny Overbury's 1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 9,713
  • Deore Original.jpg
    Deore Original.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 9,713
It is, I suspect, now in its spiritual home...

The bike truly is a timetravel piece...previously gently used, and loved I would say.

Unleash and enjoy her Sir...for she will be a obediant dirty mistress of the trails.

:)

Apart from the rings the Deore II groupo is in good fettle. It just needs to be made more durable for retrobike duties. Tyres are old and crusty so might save for some Timbuk II

Back