1988 GT Avalanche

SeeingisBelievingGTMuseum

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Thought I missed out on this one having missed the end of the auction but messaged the seller only to find out that the high bidder was slow paying and that the bike had a mate. This was originally one of a his and hers pair. I got the widows after her local bike shop had listed and sold the husbands.

This was GT's top of the line model in 1988. Everything on the bike is original except the saddle. This bike has some interesting features. Component colors are unique as GT talked many of the component companies into doing special colors on most of the components. Suntour did the derailleur bodies and shift levers in White with Anthracite gray hubs, pedal bodies, derailleur pivots and clamps. Dia Compe did the AD992 u-brakes and 290 levers in matching Anthracite. SR did the GT Power Series crank and spider in white also. Tange did the Levin CD headset in anthracite.

Frame: Tange Prestige 70/74 Internally routed rear brake TIG welded by Toyo
Fork: Spinner Round-Oval Round tapered blade with socket type forged ends
Head Set: Tange Levin CD sealed mech 1"
Stem: GT logo with internal roller
Handlebar: SR MT heat treated aluminum alloy
Grips: GT/Ame
Brake Levers: DiaCompe 290
Shift Levers: Suntour XCD-6000 in custom white color
Crank: SR/GT Power Series cold forged w.48T round and 38/28T Oval Tech chainrings in custom white colors
Pedals: Suntour XCD-6000 with custom painted body
Bottom Bracket: Hatta Swan sealed mech
Derailleurs: Suntour XC 9000 rear, 9010 front custom painted
Freewheel: Suntour Winner Pro 13-30T Ultra 6 speed
Chain: Suntour SP-6000 nickel
Hubs: Suntour XC 9000 sealed bearing Anthracite gray
Tires: Ritchey Force 2.0 (Originals!!)
Spokes: 14g Stainless 4x
Seat Post: Suntour XC 27.0 x 330mm
Saddle: GT Pigskin (GT regal type was the original spec)

Enjoy!

Attachments

• PICT1587.JPG
    PICT1587.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 2,979
  • PICT1584.JPG
    PICT1584.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 2,979
  • GT 1988 US - 05.jpg
    GT 1988 US - 05.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 2,979
  • GT 1988 US - 04.jpg
    GT 1988 US - 04.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 2,979
That is very special - there can't be many (or any?) left as original as that?

I thought about biding on it but expected it to go very high so didn't try, its gone to a good place for old GTs though. :D

Gotta be a BOTM?

nevadasmith":1hbld37x said:
I thought about biding on it but expected it to go very high so didn't try

This isn't actually the one that was listed on eBay. Some lady had her local bike shop sell her husband's and this was hers...they had a matched pair. That means there's another one out there in condition very similar to this one.

kaytronika":15k3fmyt said:
Beautiful bike.

I just doubt many bike companies would go to that level of detail these days.

Thanks! Doubt many component companies would allow a bike company to ask for something like that these days....but fashion sells.

ChrisG":2cvb3gnj said:
wow what a stunner, you must be very pleased with it?

Yes, amazed...Most any other bike even half this age that I've ever acquired has had some kind of tarnish, rusty bolt head, something that showed it's age....this one has nothing like it except a little cable rub from that monster 6mm cable housing. Previous owner must have stored it in a room with an air to air exchanger.

Back