1996 Santa Cruz Heckler Modern Build

dadandlad

Dirt Disciple
I purchased this bike as a scrapper which had been thrown in a damp garage for four years with the intention of bringing it right up to date with modern components.
Water had got under the paint and lifted it and it also had a seized in seatpin and bottom bracket.
I have made the rear brake caliper mountings and a ex Orange employee tig welded them on.
The rear shock is a DHX 4 Air and works brilliantly with the frame as do the rock shox tora forks.
Iam over the moon with the way it handles and climbs,so much so that i have just purchased another one to restore
I just built it up from components i had available and incredibly it weighs in at bang on 28lbs

DSCF1343.jpg

DSCF1340.jpg

DSCF1341.jpg

DSCF1344.jpg

DSCF1342.jpg

Think it deserves a nicer fork :) Don't forget to put the seatstay brace back on...

Cheers chaps
The brace has now been refitted cheers,i was really suprised with the forks they are really good although a tad on the heavy side.
I will be upgrading them at some stage but i dont know what to go for,any recomendations?

Firstly, it looks amazing. Such a cool bike when they were brought out - wanted one since.

My only (small) point i'd make is can you get caps or something for the old V brake bosses? Looks kinda weird with the big holes in the seastays. Or is that just me?

Bike looks sweet.

I have a 96 candy apple red with polished rear triangle that I'm thinking about selling. Very good condition w/ Marizochi B1 bomber front shock, Chris King headset, Magura old school hydrolics, etc....
Purchasing a Nomad and can use the $$$$

What a bike like this worth? PM if anyone is interested and I'll snap some photo's. Thanks!

dadandlad":312bs85o said:
Cheers chaps
The brace has now been refitted cheers,i was really suprised with the forks they are really good although a tad on the heavy side.
I will be upgrading them at some stage but i dont know what to go for,any recomendations?

Reba SLs.

I picked up a pair for £250 with poplock from Merlin Cycles and I can honestly say they're the best fork I've ridden, very plush & stiff.

My 1998 Heckler currently has Maxle Light Rebas on it, shortened to 100mm travel. Superlovely. It previously had U-Turn Pikes wound right in, which were ace but somewhat on the portly side ;-)

Latest posts

Back