1993 Koga Miyata SkyRunner Carbolite

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Yes, another Miyata. A Koga Miyata in this case. The SkyRunner was the more expensive brother of the blue TrailRunner Carbolite of the same year. Besides components, their frames differed in that the SkyRunner had Carbolite stays, while the TrailRunner's came in polished alloy.

The SkyRunner is identical to the US Miyata Elevation 10,000, the bike on which H-Ball regularly competed in Dual Slalom events. Only name and paint differs.

This is how it went with this bike:

When I rediscovered mountainbiking in about 2001 I decided that in this suspension era at least one bike had to have a suspension fork :roll: A NOS SkyRunner frameset was still in the house and I acquired a Manitou SX LT. Original bonded Miyata FatMax out, Manitou in. I discovered cantis didn't work anymore and quickly I bought V's for the front.

KogaSRC1800.jpg

Fact is the FatMax is only 39cm long and the LT Manitou comes with 10cm travel. The bike handles a bit like a lorry in really tight corners, but overall I think it is still a very good performer with adjusted ridingstyle. Furthermore some agility has been traded in for added stability and that is also worth something.

KogaSRC10620.jpg

KogaSRC3620.jpg

Some specs:
- XTR cranks
- XT mechs and thumbies
- Centaur brake rear, Deore V front
- Rond headset
- Machinetech front hub, blue
- Kooka nightstorm stem
- cut Sunn NK Trial bar - very sturdy
- Footwork brake boosters

Some day I will swap the forks. Not because of handling issues, but because I am of the opinion the SkyRunner will be a nicer bike 'aestheticly' with the its original FatMax and the Centaurs installed.

Brochure pic & specs:

KogaMiyataSkyRunnerCarbolite93C.jpg

Specs

Thank you

Well, actually not!

Overhere we have even fields that would perfectly match all colours on my Yo :D

...and Japanese who have been told not to walk on the duckweed, but still do

How many miyata's have you got stashed Melvin? Are you just posting up one a month :D

Great bike btw

rutteger":3iovikbz said:
How many miyata's have you got stashed Melvin? Are you just posting up one a month :D

I will do a count shortly and I will turn back to you ;) Pretty sure that when we would open a 'What brand is most popular?' topic, Miyata would be on top the list :LOL:

@cchris2lou
Actually I do have all Koga brochures, except the '87 year. Brochures were always very glossy, but way to big for my scanner. I did scan all MTBs from the beginning up to and including '95, what means all Japan made Miyatas. Quite a lot. I will post them some time.

Back