Just bought this

bm0p700f

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have just paid for this from another forum user. I am now egerly waiting it recieve it.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=104876

I have a couple of questions. Given its a kona (cindercone?) what seat post diameter is it likely to have?

The seat post is seized. Apart from squirting penetrating fluid and letting soak in and then applying alot of brute force (easily arranged) to twist the bugger out, what other methods can work. I am a bit nervous about heat as aluminium expands more than steel heat could make it worse.

Also I was planning on painting the frame after sanding it down as there are some scuff marks. What colour should a 1991/2 cindercone be, black? What shade. Also will areosol can paint work well with laquer applied. I presume so, well it will have to as I do not have the facilities to powder coat.

got a good deal there buddy

i would advise against using rattle cans yourself as it will cost you a fortune and you will be gutted when it gets all chipped, you can get a frame and forks powder coated for about £40, this will be a lot harder wearing and will get to the places that you cant with a rattle can then get a set of gil-m decals. most towns will have someone who powdercoats.

cant help with the seat post question as i am not a kona expert but there are many on here that will spring to you aid

stubbsy :D

Wouldn't repaint that - look awesome.

Search on sheldon brown or on here - loads of help for removing stuck seatpost. Lots of post hanging out so shouldn't be too hard to remove I reckon.

No help from me on size either sorry. Good luck, nice base for a great project.

Well maybe thats all it needs. However I don't know if the orange is the original colour.

Anyway I am looking forward to building it.

Is that def' a Kona frame? I don't recognise the bit on the seat tube just below the top tube where it steps down. If it is a genuine Kona Cinder Cone from 1991/92 then it would have been black or red or "Cinder Gold"

Well I will soon see. I hope it's a Kona frame. The seller did say he believes it has been powder coated at some point.

You need one of the regular forum Kona experts to come along and tell you like Antony?

Tbh though for £25 you have got a set of 1" P2 forks, a 1" Impact headset, a smooth square taper BB and a comfy looking saddle, so if it turns out not to be a Kona or even if it is and the seatpost never comes out, you have still done ok for your money, even if you sell on the bits to recoup. Could be worse.

bm0p700f":1soj4ysr said:
Well maybe thats all it needs. However I don't know if the orange is the original colour.

Anyway I am looking forward to building it.

If not the original colour then yes respray. Then enjoy

Back