You guys jinxed me!

BreakawayPaul

Retro Newbie
I posted pics of my 92 Alpinestars Al-Mega a few weeks back, and after reading posts by other Al-Mega owners, I counted myself lucky that I hadn't had any of the problems with cracking that others have had.

Well, last week I decided to load her up for a trip to our local mountain biking area, and noticed this:

]

Talk about annoying!!

I'm talking to a frame shop about getting it welded and maybe reinforced. Wish me luck!

I hope! I'm thinking the best way would be to weld it, then grind off as little from the inside as is needed to clear the steerer tube (since it's 1-1/8" inside a 1-1/4" steerer). Then maybe on the outside, try to find a tube whose i.d. is the same as the head tube's o.d. and slide it over, then weld it in place to reinforce the area.

Not sure if that's doable, but it seems like it wouldn't be too far-fetched.

Just looking at it again, how about a good quality weld on the crack, full penetration, then grind it back flush with the inside of the head tube, then fabricate a strengthening bracket (much like the lower one) to hold it all in place nicely. ;) :?

Just thinking out loud really :oops: :oops: incase it ever happens to me

Having had an rts welded by a very competent alloy welder only to re crack i'd say that frame should be laid to rest

That sucks.

Has anyone with one of these though about a pre-emptive fix?

You could get a re-inforcing collar made up that is an interferance fit and have it heated and cooled onto the top of the head tube - should look pretty subtle and will hopefully reduces stresses in the top of the head tube.

you could sleeve the headtube down to 1 1/8"
have the top hat style inserts machined and fitted then welded ,including the crack then fit the headset then run 1 1/8" forks

Nightmare :( I know the gut wrenching feeling you are going through.

I had exactly the same issue with my saracen conquest, Have a look at the linky below and you can see that after the grief it is do-able , I would have a look at a motorcycle repair centre or custom chopper place as they are used to welding and fixing greasy aluminum.

It took a couple attempts but I have the only rideable and raceable ;) Saracen Conquest e-stay that I know of :)

linky http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Wow, good info from everyone. I especially like the idea about the motorcycle shop!

I phoned a place that I found online that does frame repairs. The lady said that they'd weld it, then grind the inside and leave the outside. When I mentioned my idea to fit a sleeve of some kind around the outside diameter of the top of the head tube, she said I'd have to provide the material since they didn't have any of it laying around the shop.

I might try to find a place locally. I really like the idea of sleeving the head tube down to 1-1/8 and not having to have that adapter. Makes total sense and would probably be even stronger.

Back