1991 GT Xizang - Finished 13/03 pg3 - update pg4 15/01

Coleman

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Here is my latest project, pretty much got all the parts for the build now, it going to be early 90's XT, Control Tech, Maintou and Ritchey to make it period correct.

Decided to go with controltech/manitou as a finishing kit to be a bit different on a GT as a change from syncros/rockshox.

The forks are a bit of a labour of love, I always liked the way Manitou 1's looked but back then my bugdet was limited to a flexstem! They probably should have been binned, for what I've spent I could have got a better set but once you start reason goes out of the window! The have been stripped and re-built with a NOS seal/bush kit and some soft elastomers off of a later version.

The frame is as it arrived, needs a clean and a bit of a polish but its going to get ridden lots so not planning on a showroom finish.

I have got a NOS set of decals - I think I am going to have a problem though as they are peeling off with the backing so fitting them is going to be a fiddle - any fixes?

Attachments

• RIMG0441.jpg
    RIMG0441.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 6,362
  • RIMG0442.jpg
    RIMG0442.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 6,362
Re: 91 Xizang

nevadasmith":28didrl3 said:
I have got a NOS set of decals - I think I am going to have a problem though as they are peeling off with the backing so fitting them is going to be a fiddle - any fixes?

Um yeah...not really a fix just lots of patience and you'll also find that the face paper glue will have a tendency to stick to the face of the decal while trying to remove that paper. guess we should expect that as decals that are 19 years old will have adhesive that's hardened some over time. I think Gil also has this vintage decal set available in a repro.

gm1230126":27463kcm said:
I think Gil also has this vintage decal set available in a repro.

I think your right. I'm almost certain he did The Ken's Xizang decals.

Gil's are much better as they stick straight on! :LOL:

Pickle":22evlpfq said:
gm1230126":22evlpfq said:

thanks for the advice - I don't have the patience for these. :LOL:

nevadasmith":3mjkq3fq said:
Pickle":3mjkq3fq said:
gm1230126":3mjkq3fq said:

thanks for the advice - I don't have the patience for these. :LOL:

Was just thinking of changing mine and I do have one set of the 19 yr old originals....Patience is a virtue :D

My 91 was actually decaled as a Xizang LE frame set when I got it. I wish I could get some with the LE.

This'll be nice, I must admit though, Rock Shocks and GT's are like Pace forks and Pace bikes, anything else always seems a bit taboo! ;)

It's a good point.... Who would run a GT with Manitous? :oops: *hides GT rebuild w/ Mach 5s*

That frame is lovely by the way. I've relapsed in to my triple triangle addiction.

Back