'94 Dyna-Tech Diablo LX

haribo

Old School Hero
Saw an online classified ad for this a few weeks ago and thought it looked interesting. Didn't know much about Dyna-Tech's but on inspection it looked good - full original (I think) LX groupset (sti's, canti's, pedals, hubs, mechs, cranks etc.). Ti forks, stem and bars too. Only real issue was that the plasticy coating on the top/down tubes was peeling off (can't really see in the pic from the ad) and the cranks were creaking. Good price so decided to take a punt as a local hack/sometime commuter.

Have since made a few changes but will be keeping all the original bits. Main issue was what to do about the tatty tubes - paint everywhere else is really good. Was hoping the coating would all come off easily so I could strip both tubes and give them a buff - unfortunately not so! For the time being stripped off the middle sections leaving the red fade and then gave the exposed bits a once over with a scotchbrite pad. I did go further at the bottom of the downtube stripping it to bb join. Much better!

Replaced the jockey wheels/seat, tightened up the cranks, adjusted the gears, added an X-Lite QR seat binder, put the Pace fork (at 80mm) on the front and greased up the headset - jobs a good 'un and I think she looks quite neat. Nice comfy ride for some local hacks (got a pair of Panaracer XC Pro's that I can swap on) and a bit of commuting.

Attachments

• ugli.jpg
    ugli.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,940
  • dt3.jpg
    dt3.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 2,940
  • dt2.jpg
    dt2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 2,940
  • dt1.jpg
    dt1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 2,940
Lovely bike. I had one of these. I managed to completely strip the paint from the top & down tubes and polish the Ti (looks like I missed the cabl stops ;) ). I eventually painted it blue and stenciled some Troy Lee style flames from the headtube onto the downtube :?
Had it built with Pace rigid forks, XTR M900 bits, X-lite seatpost, saddle & Ti bar, Club Roost I-beam stem, L&M cranks. Was very light. Bumped into a Raleigh rep at the Plymouth World Cup ('96?) and he sorted me out with some replacement downtube stickers.
Sadly one of the canti studs became detached from the stay and the headtube ovalised (suprising as the bonded tubes never gave in).

Enjoy riding it, if you ever decide to pass it on... ;)

S8-Tom":12rlpxgr said:
Lovely bike. I had one of these. I managed to completely strip the paint from the top & down tubes and polish the Ti. I eventually painted it blue and stenciled some Troy Lee style flames from the headtube onto the downtube :?
Had it built with Pace rigid forks, XTR M900 bits, X-lite seatpost, saddle & Ti bar, Club Roost I-beam stem, L&M cranks. Was very light. Bumped into a GT rep at the Plymouth World Cup ('96?) and he sorted me out with some replacement downtube stickers.
Sadly one of the canti studs became detached from the stay and the headtube ovalised (suprising as the bonded tubes never gave in).

Enjoy riding it, if you ever decide to pass it on... ;)

Nice to hear from someone else who had one, will let you know if I decide to move it on.

I may well strip the rest of the tubes, need to get hold of a multi tool/dremel to do it properly.

I was thinking of some Pace rigids but I already had the RC36 PC2's so thought I'd try these out. I'd feel a bit tentative about giving the UGLI's too much thrashing and I'm not the most svelte rider. They'll sit in the cupboard and just come out should I be planning a long road ride. I'm not that familiar with rigid forks but the UGLI's feel stupid light.

Do you know what size the post if off the top of your head?

Cheers, Andrew

The UGLI's have 'Titanium' written on the side. Try sticking a magnet on the legs to see if they're steel.

As for the seatpost 26.4 is springing to mind but it was a while ago. Best get it measured.

I assumed the forks were ti and none of it is steel (inc steerer, dropouts) as far as my magnet is concerned. Might take the canti's off to see how much they weigh...

I was thinking 26.4. However, I tried a 26.8 post in it from my Heckler and it fit with a little to spare. I think maybe it's a 27.0...

The forks have a unique bulge formed alloy crown and titanium legs. The dropouts and stem are steel.

The crown was made in Japan by Eisho Seisekusho. The Steerer was made from Reynolds tube, the fork blades were made from titanium sourced from IMI at Swansea, and the dropouts were from Spinner in Taiwan. All these parts were bonded together.

The whole thing was the baby of Gerald O-Donovan.
U.G.L.I = Uncle Gerald's latest invention. A name coined by Chief Assembly guy, Clive Hodgson. :D

Back