1991 Kona Cinder Cone (Black) Rebuild or Restore?!?!?!?!?

rob.mac

Dirt Disciple
Hi there,

any advice on bringing my 1991 right back up to date (1991 that is!).

Any sites whee I can get my hands on an Avocet Racing Kona saddle etc as I would like to keep the bike looking very original as it has been in my family since 1991.

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_04481.jpg
    IMG_04481.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,346
Hi, nice CC, and in black too! Mine is a black '91 as well, and I've had it from new. Never really had to consider whether / how to fully restore it as give or take the odd month here and there, it's been in regular service for almost 20 years now, initially as my only MTB, and then as a roadie / second bike.

Basically I took the 'keep it as original as possible, but not to the detriment of the ride / ownership experience etc' view, so in other words it's had bits improved / replaced as I've gone along, but I'm no rivet counter, so originality hasn't been the over-riding priority. In no particular order:

New wheelset to replace wonky Ukai's (Campag Mirox/LX hubs)
Lightweight seatpost
Charge Spoon (Avocet was torn and had gone really hard... :shock:
Deore V' brakes and levers
Deore DX thumbies (sold all the XC Ltd stuff on fleabay)
Had the crusty old P2's powder coated and re-decaled
Replaced the knackered / bent Suntour RD with an LX
New SRAM chain
Original (heavy I know) BB & chainset/cranks still going strong (over 20,000 miles and counting)
Syncros stem
Kona Jackshit grips

Have decided to keep the frame as is, warts and all, partly as many of the scars tell a story, and partly because I've been fairly successful to date rubbing back/priming/spraying the worst areas of cable rub, so will probably do the same with the other blemishes - that way I retain the '91 patina of slightly faded paint and chipped decals etc.

Couple of pics of P2's before & after and some of the other mods.

So, I suppose what I'm saying is, do what you think is best subject to your intended use - you're the one with the personal connection to the bike, after all. If it were me, I'd do a rolling resto of necessary parts and retain as much of the patina as possible!

Whatever you decide, hope you enjoy the next few years with the bike as much as I have - they don't make Konas like they used to you know :LOL:

Attachments

• forks before 002.jpg
    forks before 002.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 1,328
  • Rest' Forks 004.jpg
    Rest' Forks 004.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,328
  • Kona CC 003 (Large).jpg
    Kona CC 003 (Large).jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,328
Looking good bert......just the kinda thing I need to see to give me some inspiration. ha ha ha there was me thinking I might have a relatively unique bike around here (Devon). Just have to let me know when your out on it so we dont have to deal with the embarassment of being on the same bike!!

Re: 1991 Kona Cinder Cone (Black) Rebuild or Restore?!?!?!?!

rob.mac":2e5qkupk said:
Any sites whee I can get my hands on an Avocet Racing Kona saddle etc as I would like to keep the bike looking very original as it has been in my family since 1991.

Hi, I have a NOS Kona branded Avocet Racing saddle on my Stumpjumper. Sadly I don't really want to sell it as it's period correct for my bike. That said, I'd happily swap it for another period correct saddle say a Rolls, Turbo, Avocet etc.

Here's a pic - You can't really see it but theres a 3 inch wide yeallow plastic panel on the back of the saddle with KONA written.

PM me for more info

4628821350_7e2418282f_b.jpg

Back