Kona Impact Headset question

bertberr

Devout Dirtbag
I have a '91 Cinder Cone, and I've started to notice some slight play when rocking the bars with the front brake on. Now I think I'm right in saying this is likely to be headset related, so, firstly what is the likely problem? By that I mean what part of the headset is the likely culprit - cups / bearings etc???

Can parts still be obtained to replace worn ones?

If not, and bearing in mind this is the original headset - almost 20 years old, what are the options for replacing it?

If I wanted to get something that would fit from say CRC or Wiggle, what type / brand / spec / size etc should I be looking for?

Thanks
BB

You have tightened it? It may have just come loose? Plenty 1'' headsets out there. Strong light make threaded 1''

Excuse the slightly daft question but when you say tighten it, do you mean the allen key set into the knurled ring at the top of the headtube? I've already tried that and its tight, as is the bolt in the top of the quill stem. Where else should I be checking?

Undo the Allen bolt so that the ring can turn, and see whether it is possible to tighten it any further - if so, the headset is loose. You tighten the headset with the ring, and then the Allen bolt keeps it in that position (but not if the Allen bolt itself isn't tight enough).

Without wishing to blaspheme, it isn't actually against the law to put grease in your headset from time to time. At least once per decade isn't considered excessive. So it might be an idea to take it all apart, have a look at everything, bung a bit of grease in etc.

Really, I heard it was a flogging offence... :roll:

And I did grease it up when I replaced the stem last year, just that I've forgoten how the f**king thing went back together again... too much sauce on a hot day IIRC, suppose it's even possible I didn't tighten it up properly then... :oops:

So that's actually once every 9 years... and she still going strong (apart from the headset)

Well they do say leave well alone. I guess you did it quite well the previous time so it lasted nine years ok. Trouble is nine years is long enough to forget how you did it!

You can just hand-tighten the ring, as tight as it will go without making the bearings run rough when you turn the fork. Then lock it in that position with the Allen bolt. It's a lot more convenient than a conventional threaded headset.

"You can just hand-tighten the ring, as tight as it will go without making the bearings run rough when you turn the fork. Then lock it in that position with the Allen bolt."

Yup, you were right, got about a sixth of a turn out of it :oops:

Seems OK now... and saves me the cost of a new H/S :D

the impacts always take a while to settle after a rebuild, all of mine have. You think it tight and after 30mins of riding you can feel the play when you apply the front brake. Nothing to worry about though!
:D

Yup, it was certainly tight after the last service, so must have just loosened off as things bedded down again. Note to self - check, clean & re-grease more regularly in future (well at least every 5 years...)

What amazed me is that even after only the second clean-up / re-grease the bearings & races/cones whatever you call them are still totally unmarked, and the steering is still creamy smooth...

Now this is the original HS, so 19 years old and 20K+ miles, the first few thousand being almost entirely off road and with P2's of course, so no let off for the bearings there.

Must have been a pretty good quality HS to start with I suppose... anybody know what make it is (I know its branded Kona Impact, but was it made for them by one of the big boys like cane creek or syncros)????

Back