Marin Pine F. R. S. NEW PICS 31/05/10 NEXT: Fit elastomers

fac51hacienda

Dirt Disciple
Marin Pine F. R. S. (Project)

OK, so some of you know I recently joined here and bought an old Marin Pine F. R. S. from eBay. The end auction price was fairly high but it looked in great nick and I dreamed about this bike some much when I was 13 in '93 so I bid high! However when it arrived the description didn't match the bike, so I spoke to the seller and we agreed a part refund which was in the end very fair.

Anyway, pics are here:
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/111270513 ... inPineFRS#

s1jcyt.jpg

Work to be carried out:

-Manitou 2's: Cleaning out the gunk and replacing the elastomers in the front & rear suspension (I'm doing that tomorrow NOT looking forward to it, wish me luck)

-Giving the bike a FULL frame treatment and respray in original finish & colours (probably by Argos Cycles)

-Replacing the stem with a better condition NOS

-Applying new original/repro decals

-Probably when the above is done, upgrading to full period XTR

-Replacing the bar ends with better condition NOS bar ends

(You may see another one of these soon from me as I have spotted what looks like an immaculate Pine F. R. S. like this which I may purchase, but it is not at all local to me.)

I'm gonna need some luck, it's my first project, although I am in love with it! :D

Good luck.

From what you say you plan to do, it should end up stunning.

Love the front wheel!

Oh, and do me a favour and bin those red (sorry, pink) tyres ;)

H Pickle, thanks!

Yeah I'm looking forward to getting her finished and taking her out. Not really ridden her at all yet. I'm a perfectionist so although it may take me a while, she'll be sweet. :)

I'm toying with the idea of putting the pink tyres back on actually they're just so lovely! :oops: (NOT) They're going on eBay tomorrow...

;)

Always loved these bikes, used to know a chap who rode one back in the day. A fascinating variant on a regular full suspension frame.

Morning folks, early start today to work on her again.

Yesterday I tackled the front suspension but got side tracked and ended up stripping the rear suspension and cleaned that out and started work on the front forks too. Lots of gunk and water or maybe oil in one side of the rear stancions but not quite as bad as expected.

I have a feeling the front ones are gonna be worse as there are NO elastomers left in the forks. You can see the remains of the rear ones in the pics.

More pics have been added here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/11127051332 ... inPineFRS#

I now have to source: shock bushes x4 sets (F&R), metal spacers x4 sets (F&R) -Any suggestions? (but the elastomers x4 sets have been sorted.)

Will post more as these progress... :)

Ps: Ssssshhh don't tell the misses I did this in the kitchen (I live in an apartment and it was wet outside yesterday) ;)

Today I stripped and cleaned the front forks and put the suspension back together on the back and the front. They are now incredibly clean, so much so I'm not wanting to put new elastomers in them for them to perish again in years to come. I really don't want to have to do this again. My hands are almost in bits!

http://picasaweb.google.com/111270513327093369029/Pt3#

Next up is fitting the new elastomers when they arrive.

I think the plastic bushes are actually ok, which was good news, either that or they have split diagonally in exactly the same place on each of the 4 at the exactly the same gradient.

That is looking really nice, if the other one you have seen happens to be a 17.5 inch or smaller and is anywhere near me, let m eknow as I have wanted one of these for a very long time now. :D

I will development_cycle but it's no where near to be honest. Its going to take some work to get it, that is if I can. No even sure how much these are worth in tip top condition, do you? ;)

fac51hacienda":pq1ahbu1 said:
I will development_cycle but it's no where near to be honest. Its going to take some work to get it, that is if I can. No even sure how much these are worth in tip top condition, do you? ;)

roughly where is it then?

I doubt they are worth a guge amount to be honest, they were the lowest spec FRS model by Marin, all the others had full aluminium frames or even Titanium. Having said that, the Pine FRS probably has better longevity than the aluminium ones as they were prone to cracking rather like the original Manitou ones.

Back