'89 Scott Boulder OWMTBC '10 project - FINISHED

skolioza

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I bought whole bike, but as You can see last owner makes some changes in stuff

So, I remove all needless things, and I want to restore this bike to oryginal specyfication -full Deore I MT60 groupset with 3x6 gears, U-brake, rigid fork etc (many thanx for Tommi74 for 89 catalogue scans - now I know what I should looking for!)
Some parts (mechs, thumbies, front hub, canti, BB) I had at home, some (chainset, U-brake, 6s cassette) was with bike, some is still missing ;)
Hope to finish this project to the end of August, because that's my OWMTBC 10 project

Some pics:
89-1.jpg

89-4.JPG

89-2.JPG

deore-set.jpg

acocet1.JPG

Hi Marzin,

I will do the scan of the 91 catalogue this weekend, promise!

I wanted to do a rebuild of my 89 Boulder, which turned from original to dark blue. Now I plan to bring it back to original (however, doubting to use a light blu instead of the pink colour...)

Mayba you can send me some detailed pics of the decals, so that I can make repros, but only after I have sent you the scan. You have waited long enough ;- )

Here´s my 89 Boulder:

Original, pictute taken in 1992 (after 3 years of hard usage)

Scott_Boulder_November_1992_optimiert.jpg

Now:

PICT0234.JPG

The parts on that bike you bought are awful.

Somehow only few people realize that this bike was the alternative to the Specialized Stumpjumper back in the days. Racy geometry and all, this bike was called "the legendary 89 Scott Boulder" by the german "Bike" magazine in some article, published in 1991.

Now, how many Stumpjumpers are here in this forum, and how many 1989 Scott Boulders?

Personally, I don´t like the Boulders from 1990 onwards...

Tommi74":1e5exgg6 said:
The parts on that bike you bought are awful.

Somehow only few people realize that this bike was the alternative to the Specialized Stumpjumper back in the days. Racy geometry and all, this bike was called "the legendary 89 Scott Boulder" by the german "Bike" magazine in some article, published in 1991.

Now, how many Stumpjumpers are here in this forum, and how many 1989 Scott Boulders?

Personally, I don´t like the Boulders from 1990 onwards...
You're right - this bike was awful when I see it 1st time But - paradoxically - it was good for it! It was used by 55 years old man, once maybe twice a week, but only when weather was good That's why frame is in good condition :)
I didn't knew about comparing this bike to Stumpjumpers, but true is that younger models had worse tubes and equimpment (89 Tange Infinity BD, Deore I, 90+ Tange MTB DB, Deore LX) Do You have maybe scan of this article?
Mayba you can send me some detailed pics of the decals, so that I can make repros
with pleasure - just let me know which graphics You'll need!

BTW - I see in picture from 1992, that You need cable hanger for front brake My Scott stem have this part integrated (it's oryginal stem from this bike, last owner gave me also stem and rigid fork) And in Yours cable stoppers for derauilers in lower main tube have diffrent shape as mine, and they are mounted in different places ;)

I´m not quite sure that I needed that cablehanger. I think I modified it, because i wanted to be able to adjust the stem height without readjusting the brake. Unfortunately, i don´t have the original stem anymore.

You also see that I rerouted the front-shifter cable along the top tube, instead of under the bracket, in order to keep it clean (like the rest of the bike....clean)

About the tubing, I always thought Tange Infinity is better than Tange MTB. Am I wrong about that? Anyway, the Boulder was supposed to be a mid-range mass production bike with race-DNA. Just like the Stumpjumper. Compare the geometry to other midrange bike from that year. It was more race-oriented, more like expensive (race)bikes.

You also have the ovalised seat-tube, dwon at the bottom-bracket, have you?

Tommi74":mzjpjqf7 said:
You also see that I rerouted the front-shifter cable along the top tube, instead of under the bracket, in order to keep it clean (like the rest of the bike....clean)
but I see differences even in 2nd photo (blue bike) - In Your frame stoppers are more in side of tube, and You can remove cable with them - I cant

przeloty.jpg

About the tubing, I always thought Tange Infinity is better than Tange MTB.
Directly that I mean - 89 had better tubes and stuff (Deore IMO is one class higher than Deore LX)
You also have the ovalised seat-tube, dwon at the bottom-bracket, have you?
I don't think so...seat tube is ~~28mm x 29mm in whole lenght

Hey, that´s strange!

Well, the cable stops were like this from the beginning, i did not alter them.

And my seat tube is ovalized down at the bottom-bracket (just below the Tange Infinity sticker), to make the frame stiffer when hammering on the pedals (like I said...race-oriented)

I begin to wonder, there might have been two two versions.

The 88-Boulder was yellow (without the black seattube). Maybe you have an early 89 frame, which was the 88 frame in a new colour, and I might have a late 89 frame (bought it in novembre 1989), which might actually be a "Windriver" (the XT equipped version, same frame) in Boulder-colours, just to clear out the stock.

Interesting, I will do a bit of research on this.

Nope,

Both the windriver and the Boulder from the catalogue have the same cable stops as you have got.

Also, when I zoom in, they DON´T have the oval seat-tube, like mine...

Have a look;

89 Boulder:

Scott1989catalogue0007.jpg

89 Windriver:

Scott1989catalogue0006.jpg

Also, I did attach a cover from an early 89 magazine, which shows the 88 Scott boulder in yellow.

[img]http://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/img/photos/2/1/7/5/0/_/large/Scannen0002.jpg

I seem to have some kind of "special version"... lucky me ;-)

Back