97 cinder cone build

bigdavevw

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys, well finally i have decided to make the effort and start a build thread on my Kona Cinder cone 1997.

I bought this frame off here, got it at a good price, but it had a small crack in the top tube seat tube weld.
I am now trying to decide whether i should have it powder coated in white, or painted in its original colour.
I plan on keeping this frame, so would like a decent job, and i love the colour that is on it, but trying to find somewhere that would spray it in that colour without having to sell one of my kidneys to pay for it is proving quite hard.

As for components, i have decided on XO grip shifters, X9 gears, and RS Reba forks, got some crappy Deore/mavic 717 wheels to put on, but will upgrade to Hope pro 2/ Xc717 wheels when i have some more money.

Will have plenty of questions to ask you guys, but have made my mind up on a lot of parts to go on the bike.
Dave

Spec list

Frame: 1997 Kona Cinder Cone 19"

Fork: Rock shox Reba Dual Air with lockout

Headset: Cane creek S3
Stem: Truvativ
Handlebar: Tioga Riser
Grips: Foam ones
Barends: nope
Brakes: Avid juicy,s
Brake Pads: resin
Brake Cables: Standard black hose
Cantilever cable hangers: Nope
Brake Levers: Juicys

Shifters: Sram XO grips shifters
Front Derailleur: X9
Rear Derailleur: X9
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Sram PG951
Chain: Sram PG951
Cranks: FSA K Force
Crank Bolts: Standard
Chainrings: 44T 29T
Chainring bolts: Standard
Bottom Bracket: FSA External
Pedals: Specialized clippless

Hub Skewers: Gold hope
Rims: XTR
Hubs: XTR
Nipples: Aluminium
Spokes: DT comp
Tyres: Ardend 2.235 lust front, Maxxis monorail 2.1 lust rear
Tubes: Tubeless big man

Saddle: SDG Belair
Seatpost: Cheap one
Seatpost Binder: Dont know

Weight: 25? not sure, will find out when it is done

PICT3727.jpg

PICT4426.jpg

Hi Dave.

Any updates on this project mate?

What parts are you missing for the build?

Looking forward to seeing pics of the Shand Work. Hes a brazing god! :LOL:

Great project. Will be watching.

Hey Mike! Well looks like i might be getting my CC powder coated white same as yours!! Seems like i,m copying you a bit, but i reckon its the best cheapest colour i can go for. Gonna rasta it up, put yellow QR,s and stuff on it, red yellow and green headset spacers etc.

Parts i am missing
Chain
Cassette
Brakes!
Wheels
Grips
Seatpost QR
Stem

But i can borrow parts off my full sus, i really want this bike for a race, 10@Kirroughtree.

Looking forward to getting it up and running

Dave :cool:

Hey guys! Well got my frame back, was really excited when it arrived as i waited quite a while for it.

I couldn,t wait, i ripped the box open, and started taking the bubble wrap off. I was really impressed with the finnish, i started unwrapping the back of the bike and this is when things started to go wrong.

I noticed there was a small hole in the seatstay where i had asked the guy who repaired the frame to remove the rack mounts and smooth them over. next i spotted the main problem, he had brazed on cable disc mounts instead of Hydraulic ones. I had asked for a disc conversion i had assumed that would be hydraulic discs as cable discs hardly work at the best of times. Gutted isn,t the word. Dont know what to do, i haven,t payed him for the work yet, i have told him that i,m not very happy though.

I need some advice, what are my options? Can the cable mounts be dripped out and the hydraulic hose passed through?

Can i have hydraulic hose mounts brazed on without stripping the frame? And if so can powder coated frames just be touched up?

Or, is it a case of strip the frame back to bare metal, get the right mounts put on, then another powder coat and new decals?

Running cable discs on the bike really isn,t an option for me, i hate the things, would rather have a decent set of v brakes.

Here are some pics
PICT4712.jpg

PICT4723.jpg

PICT4716.jpg

PICT4715.jpg

PICT4722.jpg

Nightmare

Dave :cry: :evil: :x

Who did the work Dave?

Gutted for you man. Ask him to re-do the guides and dont forget you'll need some top tube hose guides too.

Do you know how he removed the rack mounts and what was used to fill in the holes?

Ps: It looks really nice though :)

Hey Mike, yea i,ll find out off him how he did it. Yea it looks nice, but for how long, if the frame has to be stripped i,ll be pissed :shock:

Dave

He will need to strip it in patches to braze on the hose guides. I was wondering f you asked him to put 'guides' or 'stops' on the seatstay during your initial conversations with him. Im you mistakenly asked for 'stops' then thats exactly what you got mate. Make it clear you want 'hose guides' mate.

Just watch out he doesn't hang a load of these of your frame....

product_350hozelock-hose-guide.jpg

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

And hat you end up with is more like this ;)

P10_CS2022_1.JPG

Hope you can sort it all out :)

Hi guys, well its been ages since i,ve updated this thread. Took agesssss to get my frame back. The guy who done the work for me agreed to do the job all over again at no cost to me, which was nice of him. So the frame was converted to Hydraulic hose mounts instead of the cable ones he put on.
So i got the frame back last week, minus the cable guide and bolt that go on the bottom bracket shell, cos he lost them :(
Anyway, i pressed in the headset cups at work, the headset is a Superstar components Uno, was £20, not sure if it,ll last, but it looks quality. I packed the bearings with really nice Q8 grease before i installed the headset.
The bottom bracket is just a standard FSA one off my ol Commie, so not expecting it to last long.
Forks are Reba dual air,s.
Got the FSA K force carbon cranks off a mate along with the XTR wheels for £150. Really pleased with them.
Stem is a Truvativ Wavo 60mm, really nice stem.
Really impressed with the way the bike looks and just feels nice to sit on so far ;) Maybe thats cos i,ve waited ages for it tho...

Things i still have to do
Get some Foam grips off a mate
Bleed the brakes
Maybe replace the pads
Get a new cable for the lock out
Find the cassette and chain
Sort out thr bottom bracket ( feels a little stiff)
Find the seat clamp
Fit cables
Bloody bolt on the Sram x9 rear mech has seized
Cable tie hoses
Find some shims for the front mech

On to the pics!!

Dave

Frame with head set cups pressed in
PICT4947.jpg

Most of the parts
PICT4952.jpg

FSA bottom bracket
PICT4960.jpg

FSA cranks
PICT4956.jpg

Cranks installed
PICT4962.jpg

Cranks on
PICT4963.jpg

Forks
PICT4964.jpg

Forks in
PICT4965.jpg

Stem on
PICT4966.jpg

Bars on
PICT4971.jpg

Saddle and seat post in (cant find seat clamp)
PICT4973.jpg

Frame
PICT4984.jpg

Frame with wheels
PICT4985.jpg

Wheels on!!!!
PICT4982.jpg

PICT4983.jpg

PICT4976.jpg

PICT4980.jpg

Very nice, love the spoke pattern on the wheels as well.

Are you able to give the price for the frame being painted?

DeSelby

Latest posts

Back