NOS 1990 Pinarello Antelao

XR4TI

Dirt Disciple
Newbie here. Wanted to share my Pinarello with you. I'll enter it in BOTM if some of you see it to be worthy.

Here's the specs;
Fully lugged Columbus Off Road frame and fork
Full XT
Nisi New Dart Pro rims-Sapim Race spokes
3T stem and bar
Vetta Race saddle, soon to be changed
Tioga Farmer John's Cousin
The Onza HO brakes will be replaced with XT M732 when I find a set.
That's about it other than it's not the lightest bike out there.
Oh. The bike has never been ridden yet. It's still brand new from 1990.

looks sweet XR4Ti, definitely a worthy BoTM entry :D

What's the story with the frame? Is it Italian made?

The frame is Italian. You know, Pinarello? I picked up the frame and fork NOS and built it up to factory spec. It took some time to find all the NOS parts. Gitabike (the importer for Pinarello) hasn't seen to many of these in the US. Pinarello in Italy couldn't even give me much info on the bike. Except that it's a mountain bike with Columbus tubing. I knew that. The most info I could round up is that a few were made in 1989-90. More info from anyone will be much appreciated. Everybody's a little lost about this bike.

Beautiful, very much like my first 'proper' mountain bike, a Cinelli Mountain. I love the classy italian touches like the chrome chainstay on yours, but even though it's factory spec don't you think that machine is crying out for campag? Definately worth a go in the BOTM next month!

Wow, I've not seen an XT chain like that for a long time. The silver and black looks ace.

It looks very similar to the Cinelli bikes of the same era.

Wow, I've not seen an XT chain like that for a long time. The silver and black looks ace.

It looks very similar to the Cinelli bikes of the same era.

Sorry, but i can't get too enthusiastic about Pinarello. Sorry I am Italian and you find tons of bikes from Colnago, Pinarello, Tommasini etc. here.
Actually, apart from Scapin, which built excellent rigs, and Grandis (okay let's save the Cinelli Rampichino, too, for its being the first MTB ever made in Italy), Italian MTBs were built with a roadie-style geometry, so they were definitely not worth a Stumpy or a Dale. Terribly heavy and overbuilt, too.
Daniele Pontoni, ex cyclecross World champion, used to race a Pinarello (but alu) with road bars (and downtube shifters). But noone else.
BTW, Antelao is a beautiful mountain near Cortina d'Ampezzo, famous vip-infested ski resort.

XR4TI":240sxt4c said:

The frame is Italian. You know, Pinarello?

I am aware of their work.

IIRC many of the other Italian road manufacturers (colnago springs to mind) didn't actually build all their mtbs in house.

pete_mcc. There's another version of the Antelao with full Campagnolo. It has U-brake bosses.

terryhfs. Good eye. The chain's not XT. It's a sachs SC- M50 I had laying around for some time. I think it looks good too.

novekili. This bike is kinda built like a tank. None the less. I couldn't pass it up. It's something very different here in the US. Conversation piece more or less. I hope to make it to Italy one day.

John. I understand. Sorry. This frame and fork came from Gitabike. So I'm assuming it was imported from Italy. Where was made? No body can really tell me any history about it.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I love bikes and the people who go along with bikes. Without this kind of stuff, I think my life would be pretty dull.

Back