Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:07 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:23 am 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

Looks great Mike 8) very nice job.

Post subject: Kona
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:25 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Lovely custom build, but can't help but think front end is too high, if your running dual air forks can you not drop the forks 40mm or so? Just looks wrong with the slack fork angle imho?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:44 pm 
Retro Guru

That's very nice.

If I was being snooty I might say its only old Kona's like yours that are cool. More modern ones look way over-engineered to me - frames like the forth bridge.

Glad your getting to ride it more now. I rode my refurbed '95 p7 (rigid) this week and its still alot of fun despite the rather low riding position compared to modern bikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:17 pm 
Retro Guru

Its funny you should say that. The guy I rode with the other day was on a Dawg Primo. I kept up with him on the tight twisty singletrack of 'Asbo Alley' (@Tilgate forest) could have probably gone quicker on the downhills but no helmet so I had to be a bit conservative. Strangely on very bumpy climbs he had a clear advantage being able to spin the cranks smoothly while the suspension soaked up the bumps. So despite the weight penalty he had that plus being much fitter than me.

Im so unfit compared to back in the day, its not even funny....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:07 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Another good example of a great looking 'modern' Kona.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:48 am 

Where did you get your decals?
I have an old Kona Cc that I am repainting and can't find decals.
I am in the states if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:14 am 
Retro Guru

A guy on here called Gil_m, or try ebay uk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:42 pm 

Thanks! I contacted Gil and he has them on file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:53 pm 
Retro Guru

I couldn't live with a frame that's just too big for me. So sadly I have moved the frame on to a new (and very happy) owner. I thoroughly enjoyed the process of renovating and updating this old frame.

So onto a new renovation project.......!

Fortunately I found a 18" '96 Lava Dome which had already had disk tabs added. The tabs arent as pretty as the fillet brazed one on my 19" but I'm working on making them a bit more pleasing to the eye. The new frame still had its canti mounts too so they are gone. I just need to finish smoothing the welds and then it'll be going off for a re-spray. Oh, I want to have some proper hose guides too. might have a bash at brazing myself.

Some pics to follow..

Not only is the frame 1" lower and 1/2" shorter but the geometry seems slightly different too. By holding the 18" up against the 19" it looks like the headtube is slightly steeper which is great as I have 80mm travel forks. Also the BB seems a tad further forward (and lower) and the chainstays a touch longer. Think this is a 'Mountain shock' version.

No idea if the new frame is lighter but it should be at least 1/4lb less and I can loose a bit of steerer tube too for a few more grams saved. Apart from the rough condition I'm really happy with it.

At the moment I'm still thinking White but might do something different with the forks. The spay job was crap on the forks and has already started chipping around the dropouts. They didn't strip the old paint before re-spraying them. The idea I have in mind is 99 style decals done in a pastel blue to match the frame decals. For the frame its going to be 96 Kilauea decals with the 97 blue colour rather than grey.

I'm hoping to add more Rasta detail to the bike too. Just little subtle things like bolts and stuff.

I also got a new 160mm 5 bolt rotor for the front brake. Now the front and rear match 8)

Did a 'mock up' of how the bike might look in 18" using cut and paste in MS paint (ignore the seatstays! :lol: ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:12 pm 
Retro Guru

Here she is with bits on. I need the bike to commute on this week so had to build her up. Its amazing how different the bike feels with a frame just one size smaller. It feels more chuckle and nimble. Definitely a bit lighter too.

Should I stick with white or try something different?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next