Early to mid eighties lugged 531 frame & fork build

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
First off a nod in the direction of Mark aka LGF is needed as when I saw his mystery lugged frame and fork bike I knew I wanted to try one for my next build - so thank you fella ;)

Up until last week I had been without a retro steed for a while :( The reason for this was simple....The bikes I have built since being on retrobike have been no older that 1994 with the exception of a Peugeot that I owned briefly and resulted in me joining RB.

I found the ride of all the bikes I have had to be quite familiar and if anything similar in characteristics to my modern bike - hence my modern bikes were getting ridden far more than my retro.

Roll on to present and I wanted to try something completely different..........Different but still usable.

My biggest gripe with older bikes is their poor brakes and poor tyre clearance. When I saw giant-one's (cheers pal) possible Ridgeback for sale I jumped - Magura mounts and oodles of tyre clearance. (So much so I can get 2.35 highrollers in with room to spare)

Anyway. Money exchanged and bike arrived. Mrs LMTTM's first comment - "hope you didn't pay much for that!" Eeek! :shock:

However I saw an awesome project.

Plan of attack is full retro. Mid to late 80's kit. M700, M730. I have my first piece of deerhead so am on track.......to become pennyless :D

Started the strip down of the frame - SKF BB took hours to remove. Plastic cups had become very brittle :twisted: But all sorted now.

A few pics below. Been removing paint in places checking for serious corrosion but touch wood looks sound.

Tubes have a lovely ping about them and the F&F are surprisingly light.

IMGP1507.jpg

IMGP1509.jpg

IMGP1505.jpg

IMGP1513.jpg

IMGP1511.jpg

IMGP1510.jpg

IMGP1506.jpg

Would love to have your suggestions - do need a bit of inspiration regarding the handlebars & saddle.

Cheers,

Mark

Giant-One got this from me. An impulse ebay buy that was further away then I thought (got Durham mixed up with Darlington :oops: ). I got it for bits, Magura's and DX, but it turned out to be far more interesting and worthy of a resto so glad it's gone to a good home. Will look forward to seeing how it turns out Mark. ;)

Nice one, had a good look at this myself :cool: will be watching with great interest :D

Just finished frame prep and chosen colour.

Now off to count the pennies before sending to Bob Jacksons.

Emptied quite a lot of water from the forks!!!!!

:shock:

giant-one":2jyzp78i said:
Did you find out anything from overbury???? ;)

Glad it's gone to a good home.

nothing as yet. Don't think that it is due to lack of serial number. Happy with not knowing TBH.

letmetalktomark":37lsyo4b said:
Just finished frame prep and chosen colour.

Now off to count the pennies before sending to Bob Jacksons.

Emptied quite a lot of water from the forks!!!!!

:shock:

:shock: Where the hell did that water come from???

It was kept in a dry work shop for about 9 months from when I got it. I only rode it once on a dry day.

Never noticed water in them. :shock: :shock:

I like it . Has to have red tomac maguras of course . Look at trial stuff , I'm sure there are some nice red cnc mounts for the brakes available .

Back