Ridgeback Mountain Sport 607 GX

s1monf

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've just picked up this Ridgeback 607 GX which is in pretty good shape.

A couple of questions:
Any idea of the year of manufacture - I've tried Bikepedia & MTB katalog de without success. It was specced with a profile quill stem, LX shifters & crank, STX RC front mech, XT rear mech and a beautiful ACOR CNC'd bar. Not sure whether any are all are original. I still have the parts and they're being cleaned up.
I'm thinking of using this as a road bike and have test fitted some 700c wheels which will fit with 5mm to spare. Any recommendations to solve the braking issue this creates? The fork & the seat stay cross member are drilled for mudguards and I'm wondering whther some u brakes would do the trick?
:?:

Attachments

• IMAG0046.jpg
    IMAG0046.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 3,672
The frame looks relatively modern.

As for the brakes, I had thought of doing similar with a rocky mountain frame, making a full suspension 700c commuter monster bike :p I was looking to use the Mavic adaptors that fix to the V mounts and then provide new points to mount brake calipers further up.

I think SJS sell them, but at £25 each (need 2, 1 per wheel) they were not cheap.

The other option is to use cantis/vs which allow loads of adjustment. Such as tri align type designs, but do remember braking power will be affected by adjusting these types of brakes.

It's either a 99 or 2000- i sold loads of em bitd

Would have come most likely with LX group- poss XT rear mech and non branded V's

sold for about 450 quid if i remember correctly.

Andy

Actually sold for 400 quid- with 24speed STX-RC and Lx RD

as far as brakes go - the only option is mavic adaptors, or fitting a disk fork and disc adaptor for rear.

If you're desperate to do it you may be able to fit long reach road brake calipers- may need to drill the mudguard bridge/fork crown tho. Also bear in mind if fitting drop bars you'll need a rather short stem.

Prob much easier to fit some good 26" slicks and enjoy it for what it is?.............

Andy

s1monf":r6925ohu said:
Thanks Andy - Any tips on the braking issue?? :roll:

tried the same thing on a sunn 5000 ;)

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... &start=300

issue is hole on fork or in the back for mudguard is not big enough to use the classic road brake femalle bolt
so had to swap front and rear

and as screw is too short in the front had to file two parts ( concave and convex outside and inside the fork) so that the brake sits about in the proper axis but only fixed in one hole only in front
result is OK for the front ( don't fear the fork going weak at this place as it is not a super thin one)

back is easy to fix on the frame but ...
as I did not relace the wheel with an MTB hub or changed slightly the rim position, no issue to put the 130 hub in the steel frame but wheel not exactly in the middle and very difficult to tweak the brakes so not entirely happy with the rear
it works but .....

plus is that I did not have to change levers and can revert easily to cantis as I left them with their own cabling

Have bought second hand Mavic adjuster to possibly put 700 wheels and cantis :idea:

but my dura ace brakes are much smarter ;) so dunno yet final choice :LOL:

Latest posts

Back