Marin Pine Mountain 91. Update 5/8: M737's and DC987's...

dan_b

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I have not been on RetroBike very long (great forum and builds), more of an observer really... I have been into bikes most of my 34 years of life and I thought I would stick some pictures up of my 1991 Marin Pine Mountain (owned for 8/9 years). I built this over two week-end's with the aim to build a single speed bike that is light and quick which I can lock anywhere with out people eyeing it up! People who don't know about bikes anyway...

Quick run down:

Gusset 1ER single speed with Gusset tensioner (running 18t sprocket)
Deore DX hubs with Mavic 231 rims with City slickers...
Recent bottom bracket with original Deore 175 crank (running a 46 ring).
Magura Evo Raceline front brake.
Flite Titanium.
Zoom stem with Marin 6061 bars....
Brand X Allen key skewers and weenie seat bolt from CRC

Pictures to follow on the next reply.

Ta,

Dan

As previous:

DSC00808.jpg

DSC00803.jpg

DSC00810.jpg

A picture with my Pinnacle Peak with full Mega 9 XT and a few other bits...

DSC00804.jpg

Any comments good or bad welcome... I have a few bits for sale too, so I'll stick them in the correct section soon...

Dan

I've always had a soft-spot for the Zolatone Marins too, Your's certainly looks purposeful, and also like it weighs blither-all too.... :cool: :cool:

Yeah, it did originally have the orange stem but it was chipped and very faded so I put the Zoom one on until I can find another good orange stem...

The bike does weigh very little and it is very easy to fly around on... I seem to have more fun on this than my Pinnacle, back to my childhood I suppose!

The only changes I will make are the stem, the headset and maybe the seatpost! Ohh and maybe the the bars! The gearing is nearly OK, I have tried afew combinations now. I may try a 16 rear sprocket. I will try for some original Deore DX/XT pedals too... :cool: I know they were not original but I always like them for some reson!

I know what you are saying, but it does not really need one in the dry... I should really put one on, if anything happens then I would be at fault (I am old enough to know better really)... I have been running it to get the gearing correct. I have another rear brake ready and it will probably go on this week.... ;)

I have just replaced the 18t rear with a 16t and it seems much easier at cruising speed now... The seat is nearly comfy too! :D

I have a much sadder example of the frame sitting in my garage. T-Cut does a wonderful job of restoring the colour to the bars and stem.

Alos, I suggest that you move the chainring round - the pin opposite the crank should be behind it. It might save a nasty gouge in your shin....from one who has made that mistake :oops:

hamster":1y3cjifd said:
I have a much sadder example of the frame sitting in my garage. T-Cut does a wonderful job of restoring the colour to the bars and stem.

Alos, I suggest that you move the chainring round - the pin opposite the crank should be behind it. It might save a nasty gouge in your shin....from one who has made that mistake :oops:

This is too far for T-cut or compound, it looks as though someone previous has left this in the sun for a number of years and had a go at using T-cut... The stem was nearly white with a lot of damage... The forks are OK for me, I like the fact they are original... I will look out for a stem...

I'll move the pin around, I never noticed that... Cheers for pointing it out... :D

As you say, the sun kills these dayglo finishes.

Actually they do repaint pretty well, and a small item like a stem will "rattle can" spray fairly easily.

Back