Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:31 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Which stem and seatpost combo should I choose?
Poll ended at Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:45 pm
Both Silver 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Both Black 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Silver post/Black stem 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Black post/Silver stem 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:48 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

how to replace bushings: hope this is usefull
DEFIANT / INTREPID SWINGARM BUSHING INSTALLATION

Remove rear wheel from frame.

Remove cranks and bottom bracket (this step is not mandatory but it makes bushing replacement very easy) and hold frame in a large vise by clamping the bottom bracket shell.
NOTE: Use some type of smooth vise jaw covers to protect the BB shell surfaces.

Remove the link that connects swingarm to shock.

Remove both swingarm pivot bolts and caps and tap pivot axle out with a soft punch (aluminum or brass) or wooden dowel.

Knock out pivot bushings from swingarm and frame with steel punch.

Install new bushings in frame (long ones) and swingarm (short ones) with c-clamp or vise. Use red Loctite if available.

Clean up pivot shaft surface with Scotch-Brite pad (spinning it in an electric drill helps) or use new shaft.

Reinstall pivot shaft. Grease it liberally and tap it in with a hammer and soft punch or dowel. Position it so that there is equal clearance on both sides of swingarm.

Reinstall pivot caps with a light coating of grease and install bolts with blue Loctite and tighten until snug. Clean, grease and reinstall link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:55 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

scottrider wrote:
hi mate, really cool bike...ay way dont know if you have used the way back machine, but hear is a link to a arcive of thier web site, mite be some usefull info!!!! http://web.archive.org/web/*/www.boulderbikes.com/ you will need to copy and paste because the link dosent seem to work!

Thanks -- I hadn't tried the wayback machine until I started looking for info about this frame. Unfortunately the archives only go back to about '95 if I remember correctly, and there's no mention of the Intrepid on Boulder's site although the maintenance info is very useful! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:33 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

The crankset arrived today and I'm more than happy with it. The pictures on Ebay were less than ideal, so I didn't know what to expect. Luckily they're better than I could've expected -- minimal scratches, logos are perfect, no heel-rub.

I plan on replacing the outer chainring with a new black Race Face 8-speed ring. I also nabbed a new UN73 bottom bracket to go with the cranks.

Next up: Brakes and brake levers.

Attachments:
Carambas.jpg
Carambas.jpg [ 223.14 KiB | Viewed 2610 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:37 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Carambas now fitted with Race Face outer (46t) and middle (32t) rings. 8)

Attachments:
Carambas updated.jpg
Carambas updated.jpg [ 128.58 KiB | Viewed 2578 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:05 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Loving this. . . 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:52 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I'm still having trouble deciding on the color of the stem and seatpost. Both will be Control Tech, but I can't decide on silver or black. I'm leaning towards black since the forks, hubs, and chainrings are black, but I was thinking the silver might look nice with the polished canti brace and silver Control Tech brakes (not pictured). Help! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:40 pm 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

I'm loving that frame mate, what an absolute bargain! I'll have to find myself a boulder on of these days........ For me, since the rims are black, the stem and seatpost need to be too. Otherwise it will always look unbalanced..... The brace you polished for the judy FSX looks great too, I'm considering doing this for mine too! Keep up the good work mate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:46 am 
Retro Guru

My Boulder has a black seat post and silver stem and looks fine. But for some reason I would like to change it to a black stem to balance the look (my cranks and rims are black).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:30 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Fenton wrote:
I'm loving that frame mate, what an absolute bargain! I'll have to find myself a boulder on of these days........ For me, since the rims are black, the stem and seatpost need to be too. Otherwise it will always look unbalanced..... The brace you polished for the judy FSX looks great too, I'm considering doing this for mine too! Keep up the good work mate!

That's what I was thinking -- black stem and post to balance out the wheels. Thanks for the compliments on the polished brace. :wink:

LQQK wrote:
My Boulder has a black seat post and silver stem and looks fine. But for some reason I would like to change it to a black stem to balance the look (my cranks and rims are black).

Yep, I shouldn't have even included those two poll options. I really don't think I'd use a different color stem and seatpost (no offense!). I just like to be consistent. :)

Alright, black it is! The black stem and post will go perfectly with the NOS black Hyperlites on the way. 8)

If anyone is interested in a NOS silver Control Tech stem, let me know. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:33 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

After a long hiatus. I've made some progress here. I took the build in a completely new direction after I used most of parts I had earmarked for the Boulder on the Zaskar. Now I'm going period correct with the full XT M730 kit and Manitou 1 forks. Here are some current pics. She should be finished very soon. 8)

Attachments:
Boulder 01.jpg
Boulder 01.jpg [ 245.06 KiB | Viewed 2143 times ]
Boulder 02.jpg
Boulder 02.jpg [ 224.33 KiB | Viewed 2143 times ]
Boulder 04.jpg
Boulder 04.jpg [ 222.27 KiB | Viewed 2143 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next