Kona Kilauea, 1992

GRK_100

Retro Newbie
Hi there, just recently joined the forum and wanted to post a picture of my '92 Kona Kilauea. I bought the bike in Aug 1992 and am still riding it today. It's currently doing duty as a weekend run around as I'm building up mileage again after a 10 year lay off from cycling - recurring back problems, now fixed :D .

Bike is pretty much original except for new tyres and new grips on the bars. Currently fitted with a Blackburn rack, comfy saddle, and light brackets from its last tour of duty as a commuter before sitting in the the shed for 10 years.

At the moment I'm on the lookout for a classic road bike and once I get one I'll return the Kona to its original set up :cool: .

kona_2_600.jpg

cheers
Grant

Great looking bike.
This was the first Kilauea I believe. I have one too, but with black forks, and I bought it second hand as a frame/fork set back in 1994. This was my first Kona, and 'proper' mountain bike. Unfortunately, it is too big for me (19" rather than my ideal size of 17") but it still was a great introduction to mountain biking, and to this day I only ride Kona's, and includes a 1996 Kilauea.
The 92 vintage is currently collecting dust in my parents shed - couple of photos here
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Thanks for the comments guys, and for the links; first time I've ever seen any photographs of the same early version of the Kilauea, I'm not sure how many are still around these days.

Hope that one from the barn is back on the road.

All the best
Grant

Back