Saracen Kili Comp

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Right, long story short, my first bike was a Saracen Trekker which my folks got me second hand from the local bike shop when I was 14 or so. I absolutely loved it and kept it even when I bought my GT Backwoods a few years later, anyway, it was a great bike and I loved it and it really made me love saracen's of the 1990's. Steel frames and great features and therefore I obviously always loved all the Kili frames as they were the top of the range.

As a young lad and then earning £2.50 an hour on my first job Kili's were always out of my range and a 'pipe dream'. However, now I am in a fortunate position to have some disposable income, I have looked out for a reasonable priced kili for some time, or saracen of any content.

I thought they were still a little out of price bracket and had given up hope and started building up my cro mege, but then this beauty came along, and konadad didn't have to do a hard sell and it was mine. Unfortunately time, space and money meant I had to sell the cro mega which I had grown very attached to, but it was worth it to get what is pretty much my ideal bike, and one I coveted a great deal back along.

No idea on build yet, although I have some XT wheels, on Araya rims which are pretty mint, and reissue porkipines tyres, plus I have a full dx groupset in good condition, needeing a little polish so I have that to build/use.

Have already bought a cheap and cheerful seatpost to get me going so all I need is a clamp, a front mech and maybe some canti levers. I have some thumbies I might use so then i'd need some levers as they are combo dx units.

Any thoughts suggestions etc very greatfully recieved. Sorry for all the pictures but none do it justice, really is a stunning frame.

IMG_3716.jpg

If anyone can tell me what year frame it is, and what size seat clamp and front mech I need would be much appreciated :D

coomber":5sgbic81 said:
If anyone can tell me what year frame it is, and what size seat clamp and front mech I need would be much appreciated :D

28.6mm?

That's lovely, always wanted one too. What you have planned sounds fine and will build up into a great looking machine, however if funds allow that would look the danglies with M900 :cool:

Looks like a 1994 to me too, quality frame tubing. Can't wait to see it built up :D

Looking really nice..

I too think it is a 94. I think that 95 onwards were fitted with the ritchey cupped style dropouts and also think that the foil effect decals were on 94 bikes.

I wouldn't fit the dx stuff.. Imo most suited would be xt 737..

94XT.jpg

As easy rider says - m900 would be nice too

Great find there coomber :cool:

Great looking colour and finish on the paintwork looks pearlescent, I think XT M737 will fit the build perfectly IMO

Will be watching the progress closley..............

Hello again,

Busy collecting parts, got a seatpost to get me going and some lovely other bits and pieces.

Any people suggest a fork? Thinking it has to be rigid, so Project 2s? Or would a curved fork (spinner etc) be better do we think? Suggestions welcome...

Back