Pro-Flex 656

Antwack

Retro Guru
Hello everyone

I'm Ant and I live in the North West of England. I was very much into mountain bikes in my teenage years during the 90's. As I'm getting older and steadily more unfit I've decided to relive my youth and get out there on a bike.

I own a Kona Shred which I've had for 15/16 years which is from the early 00's but my son has slowly acquired the use of that.

Last year I saved a bike from going the tip whilst I was walking the dog a couple of streets away. It's a Raleigh Mustang which I think is from the early 90's. It's all original and complete except the rear tyre. I took it home, washed it, inflated the tyres and it was literally ready to ride.

A couple of months back while browsing eBay for a tyre for the Mustang I came across a bike that I always wanted in the 90's and it had been restored and it was local. A few days later it was mine!

Attachments

• IMG-0491.jpg
    IMG-0491.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 347
Re: New Member with Pro-Flex 656

Antwack":2n5e96xz said:
Hello everyone

I'm Ant and I live in the North West of England. I was very much into mountain bikes in my teenage years during the 90's. As I'm getting older and steadily more unfit I've decided to relive my youth and get out there on a bike.

I own a Kona Shred which I've had for 15/16 years which is from the early 00's but my son has slowly acquired the use of that.

Last year I saved a bike from going the tip whilst I was walking the dog a couple of streets away. It's a Raleigh Mustang which I think is from the early 90's. It's all original and complete except the rear tyre. I took it home, washed it, inflated the tyres and it was literally ready to ride.

A couple of months back while browsing eBay for a tyre for the Mustang I came across a bike that I always wanted in the 90's and it had been restored and it was local. A few days later it was mine!

I've also bought another 90's bike (I think?) to raid for parts for the Pro-Flex, namely the wheels, handlebar and brakes. It's a 16" Jamis Durango XC which is paid for and will be collected after the lockdown.

Attachments

• bike 1.jpg
    bike 1.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 331
  • bike 2.jpg
    bike 2.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 330
  • bike 3.jpg
    bike 3.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 330
  • bike 4.jpg
    bike 4.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 330
  • bike 5.jpg
    bike 5.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 330
Re: Re:

MR OX":1fq0q0u4 said:
Welcome to the forum! Three bikes already, looks like you'll be at home here :LOL:

Thanks! I'm a bit rusty with my knowledge but hopefully I will pick it up again.

Antwack":63pa6xkq said:
Hello everyone

Welcome Ant,
The proflex sums up 90's progressive designs entirely. Iconic imo ;)

Magpiegifts":wya16bqt said:
Antwack":wya16bqt said:
Hello everyone

Welcome Ant,
The proflex sums up 90's progressive designs entirely. Iconic imo ;)

Thanks! I'd like to know if the front suspension (and rear) is readily improved somehow?

I've also recently saved a few wheels from going to landfill from a colleague. There's a pair of Matrix Swami rims with STX RC hubs with an 8 speed cassette. The rear wheel rim is offset to one side which I've never seen before. There's also a pair of red Vuelta Airline rims in red (pic for example) with ProMax disc hubs with a 7 speed cassette although these aren't really my cup of tea. Are the ProMax hubs any good?

Attachments

• IMG-0533.jpg
    IMG-0533.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 238
  • IMG-0534.jpg
    IMG-0534.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 238
  • IMG-0540.jpg
    IMG-0540.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 238
  • IMG-0537.jpg
    IMG-0537.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 238
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 238

I've recently acquired this project Raleigh M-Trax. I was considering stripping and painting the frame but I think I'll just put it together with parts that came with it (if salvageable) and the remainder I'll source as cheap as possible. I know I'll need pedals, chain, grips/end caps and full inner and outer cabling.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97

haha welcome to the forum, seems you have fully immersed yourself into filling your garage with retro rides :cool:

jimwise68":2et1vhun said:
haha welcome to the forum, seems you have fully immersed yourself into filling your garage with retro rides :cool:

Indeed, I’ve also got two old folding shopping bikes.

Back