boy"O"boy's 1991 Raleigh Dynatech Odyssey

And does it really weight 29 lbs? And are the campag shifters really that bad !!?

Steve replied
Morning,
I’m well. Thanks for asking.

The best answer I can give is that “it’s in the tens” not the hundreds.

We only made a few of both. Most went to Raleigh 5star dealers to attract customers and to sell down onto the other models.

We struggled to get into many multi franchise stores, simply because they could be undercut by the 5star dealers who received a much bigger discount.

Best regards
Steve

ibbz":26afc3r9 said:
no holes for the panniers!
Of course - they’re the same frames! (Apart from the dyna curve) and I can’t notice any other differences between the encounter and endeavour frames apart from the pannier eyelets
I owe you a drink man! Right now I think I need one as after ages trawling through the Dynatech thread there’s no other Endeavour except yours! And all manner of retro bike search And searching google Bing Yahoo and DuckDuckGo - nothing - except for your one!
And have emailed Steve, let’s see if he replies!

Here's a few other differences between the Odyssey and Endeavour frames.
Both models were constructed from Reynolds 2070 tubing. ( The Voyager was in between these 2 models in the line up but made from 2060 tubes)

I've grouped the pictures in order as below.

1 ) Odyssey 'double eyelets' on rear drop out.

2 ) Endeavour 'deleted eyelets' on rear drop out.

3 ) Odyssey has a plastic finisher cap on wishbone seat stay.

4 ) Endeavour has curved metal end piece brazed onto wishbone seat stay

5 ) Odyssey has a bar on the chain stay as a mudguard mount.

6 ) Endeavour has the bar deleted.

7 ) Odyssey has eyelets on the Reynolds straight blade forks.

8 ) Endeavour has eyelets deleted from Reynolds straight blade forks

9 ) Odyssey has plastic finisher cap on underside of fork steerer.

10 ) Endeavour has curved metal finisher on underside of fork steerer- like rear wishbone.

Attachments

• E-fork-dropout.jpg
    E-fork-dropout.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 275
  • O-fork-eyelet.jpg
    O-fork-eyelet.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 273
  • E-chainstay-detail.jpg
    E-chainstay-detail.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 273
  • O-chainstay-detail.jpg
    O-chainstay-detail.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 276
  • E-wishbone-end.jpg
    E-wishbone-end.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 276
  • O-wishbone-cap.jpg
    O-wishbone-cap.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 276
  • E-dropout-end.jpg
    E-dropout-end.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 276
  • O-dropout_eyelets.jpg
    O-dropout_eyelets.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 275
ibbz":24f1hfcj said:
And does it really weight 29 lbs? And are the campag shifters really that bad !!?

Yep. It's no lightweight ibbz. Approx 29 lbs :shock: - no wonder it came in for criticism in the MBi review.

The Campagnolo Bullet shifters are definitely sub-standard when compared to other shifting systems. Peachy was able to set his up so they worked well - so part may be down to set up by me, but I found them a pain to be honest.
Because of it's rarity, I wanted to go catalogue spec. If I was using it in anger…the first change I would make would be thumb shifters.

ibbz":24f1hfcj said:
Steve replied
Morning,
I’m well. Thanks for asking.

The best answer I can give is that “it’s in the tens” not the hundreds.

We only made a few of both. Most went to Raleigh 5star dealers to attract customers and to sell down onto the other models.

We struggled to get into many multi franchise stores, simply because they could be undercut by the 5star dealers who received a much bigger discount.

Best regards
Steve

That's great info ibbz. Thanks for asking the question.

Probably fewer Endeavours or Decades made than Tomac Ti/Carbon Raleighs? :?: :?

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Thanks mate
The differences are subtle but key to understanding the difference between a general product and one which is made for a purpose.
I’m curious to know how much the yellow race bikes weighed and likewise the Odyssey. 29 lbs is very heavy! It’s amazing that in the review its speed and handling was described positively - I can imagine how it would be after shedding 6 lbs !
Old campagnolo parts are quite heavy - beautifully built and aesthetically really nice - but heavy! The Dynatech decade I had weighed about 24 lbs with the Campag - admittedly the Wolber tyres I had were heavy - over 800g each. After giving it a makeover the weight dropped to just over 19 lbs!
Like the Zinn 753 - this also has Campag - I guess builders put this on their highest range bikes as the campag stuff looks good and is expensive. I’m quite surprised to see Sachs New Success was pretty much ignored - that is very well built nicely made and works very well!

It’s interesting to know that - apart from the odd frame rotting in a garage, or maybe the odd bike kept by people not interested in the internet, or having lost interest in bikes - that there’s no other Dynatech Endeavour to be found anywhere - except for your one! That’s the reason I sold the Dynatech decade - as I couldn’t ride it as I’d have liked to - too precious rare and in too good a condition to risk it! Seems to be only one of those in existence too - unless someone can tell me otherwise - strange that think about it - that your Endeavour and the Decade are indeed rarer than Tomac’s race bikes and less of them were probably built!

Re:

Hi all.

So the Odyssey is nearly complete.
The plan has always been with the Endeavour MBi review in mind…. to go for the Odyssey with your own choice of suspension.
What should have been a relatively easy process of adding a pair of Rockshox Mag 21's has turned into a bit of an epic.

It started with the purchase of a decent pair of forks with a steerer that was too short. No problems….I'll get another and install it into the crown. Although easy to remove the steerer from the crown with heat and a rubber mallet….reinstalling it wasn't as easy as it seems. The steerer I've purchased is slightly too big and will need further machining. Put this one aside for later.

Purchase another pair of forks with correct length steerer. Although when I go to fit…the actual steerer length is too short by 10mm and I can't fit the top lock nut.
Search for another :facepalm: - but find the only available one is part of a job lot of 4 crown and steerers. Still cheaper than buying another set of Mag 21's!

Wait for Crown and steerers to arrive from US - when they do, immediately go to fit one,,,, l
Length correct this time but not enough thread on the steerer :facepalm: :facepalm:

After unsuccessfully seeing if I can get the threads extended at work, and a lead that turned out to be a 1" thread die rather than 1 1/8" - I purchased the tool myself.

Now finally sorted a fitted - I've ended up with an 1 1/8" thread tool, 4 extra steerers, and a 2nd pair of Mag 21's!! :facepalm: :facepalm:

…..but happy with the outcome.

I'm keeping the Reynolds Rigid forks though, as I feel they belong with this frame.

It rides well, especially with the Rockshox. There's some slippage in the gears which I think is a combination of a slipping free hub and worn chainrings with a new chain. The plan is to replace both of these.

The final detail missing is the Odyssey decal which I still need to have Gil_M make some up.

Here's a pic heavy finale to the build. Also a few with it's rarer sibling.

Thanks all.
Enjoy.

boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Dynatech odyssey7.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey7.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Dynatech odyssey6.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey6.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Dynatech odyssey5.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey5.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Dynatech odyssey4.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey4.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Dynatech odyssey3.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey3.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Dynatech odyssey2.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey2.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Dynatech Odyssey 1.jpg
    Dynatech Odyssey 1.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 147
Re:

more pics

Attachments

• Dynatech odyssey and endeavour.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey and endeavour.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Dynatech odyssey13.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey13.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Dynatech odyssey12.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey12.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Dynatech odyssey11.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey11.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Dynatech odyssey10.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey10.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Dynatech odyssey9.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey9.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Dynatech odyssey8.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey8.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 136
Re:

last pics.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Dynatech odyssey and endeavour 3.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey and endeavour 3.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Dynatech odyssey and endeavour1.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey and endeavour1.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 140
  • Dynatech odyssey drive 4.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey drive 4.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Dynatech odyssey drive 3.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey drive 3.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 140
  • Dynatech odyssey drive 2.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey drive 2.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Dynatech odyssey drive 1.jpg
    Dynatech odyssey drive 1.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 141
:LOL: :shock: :shock: :shock: Man!!!! That’s anyone’s worse nightmare! How frustrating! Jeez!!!

But glad you have it sorted at last and are happy
and she looks sweet - even next to the supermodel!!

How much does it weigh? And question is.. are you going to go for the full house and complete the collection??

Back