1995 PACE RC200 F5 RetroMod 1x11 Deore XT FINISHED Pg10

Re: Re:

d8mok":2w1npwk9 said:
To be fair that chain looks very short

If it’s a KMC it will wear the shimano stuff so fast. 11 speed shimano XT/Ulterga chain will last twice as long. Been there and now understand why shimano to use theirs

It’s a KMC that came with the group, TBH I wasn’t too keen on the gold colour so thanks for the heads up, I’ll get it swapped out.

As for the length, I tried it two links longer but when in the top gear it seemed too floppy. I’ve not set up a 1x11 before so I’m on a learning curve. When I put a Shimano chain on I’ll try it a little longer again.

Re:

I’ve got 11 speed shimano on two bikes and tried various chains and best is XT HG701

Deffo needs at least a couple of links. Newer mechs take up the slack easily assuming its the right cage length and clutch engaged.

d8mok":1t0ogofw said:
I’ve got 11 speed shimano on two bikes and tried various chains and best is XT HG701

Deffo needs at least a couple of links. Newer mechs take up the slack easily assuming its the right cage length and clutch engaged.

Just ordered one, & yes come to think of it, the switch was in the “off” position :facepalm:

Re: IT’S A PACE JIM, BUT NOT AS WE KNOW IT…..

Sorry, missed these two comments;

d8mok":3smy53bm said:
That 1st to 2nd jump always makes me laugh on M8000.

I used a M9000 and a one up kit to get same gears but with better ratios

Those tyres have caused you grief haven’t they

Looking good

Yes it does seem rather drastic & looking at how little the cranks turn the rear wheel on the stand I'm not sure the lad will be using the bottom gear much (maybe for scaling a cliff?) :roll:

Could you expand on your M9000 & a one up kit comment please?

mk one":3smy53bm said:
Yep, use Attacks on all my builds, the colour looks a better match too.

That rear sprocket is huge, surprising the mech can handle the range, and what is the chain, looks rather nice.

It's the long series RD-M8000-SGS matched with a CS-M8000 11-46t. This is the recommended 2018-XT 1x11 set-up (so I was told)

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether to use the direct mount option? As I'm not sure if it's suited to this older hardtail frame... :|

Peachy!":27n68wqm said:
Retro Spud":27n68wqm said:
the build is coming along nicely Mr P

Cheers Spud...

New Year, new job & a pleasant surprise... 18 months ago when my previous employer closed up, a lot of machines were sold off by the receivers. And an old favourite lathe had been snapped up cheap by the firm I’ve just started working for!

Jumped on at lunch time to turn down a MBUK Mint Sauce 1-1/8” top cap to 1” ;)

The little jobs are just as rewarding... :D

Did this stem come from a Univega....? I have only ever seem them fitted to Univega Alpinas as OE equipment.

And it must be ready for the big reveal by now surely....?

Chris

As you’ve dragged >98 kit into this forum

I have to ask what does this ‘clutch’ do exactly

I felt dirty working on a second Endorphin that came with 3x9 so rebuilt it with XT from a year earlier and 8sp only keeping the Avid Arch rival vbrakes as they look nicer than Shimano’s

So 1x 11 and dinner plate sized cassettes are waaaay of shopping list

Re:

Stops chain slap and rear mech movement. Also keeps the chain in place on a 1x system (along with a narrow/wide ring)

sinnerman":2evrz0wo said:
Did this stem come from a Univega....? I have only ever seem them fitted to Univega Alpinas as OE equipment.

And it must be ready for the big reveal by now surely....?

No, just an eBay find, I don't think it's been bolted to anything before as it was absolutely un-marked.. I liked it for this Pace because of its boxy shape ;)

And as for the reveal/photo shoot, just waiting on the bloody tyres! :facepalm:

Retro Spud":2evrz0wo said:
Chris

d8mok":2evrz0wo said:
Stops chain slap and rear mech movement. Also keeps the chain in place on a 1x system (along with a narrow/wide ring)

^^^What he said!^^^ (like I've got any idea! :roll: :D )

Retro Spud":ciz9y89g said:
Chris

Like above, it stiffens the mech up, making it harder to move the mech arm forwards or backwards, which keeps tension on the chain stopping it bouncing about. Tbf, the narrow wide ring is such a good invention it works great without the clutch engaged.

What a brilliant thread, from asking your son about what kind of bike he would like and receiving the response of a “Mint Sauced” Pace through to all the hard work and effort you’ve put into achieving this

You gave me a preview before Xmas and it looked great then, but it’s really going from strength to strength

Love the “Dr Dans Pace repair emporium” I feel that way too and have also hugely benefited from his expertise and craftsmanship over the years.

The decals, colour scheme and Headtube badge are just fantastic

Definitely a cool dad and son

Keep up the awesome work

Back