XTR on 96 Zaskar LR

Reddysan

Retro Newbie
Morning guys,

Just gotten myself a 96 Zaskar LE and need some info from veterans out there.
Apologies for the noob qn.My frame comes without the original part and I would love to use back original parts in it.
Is the 96 LE equipped with M900 or M950?
Are they interchangeable and can both be used in the frame?
Appreciate your time to answer this noob an. Cheers!

Re:

Hi, there were two versions of the ‘96 Zaskar LE - earlier ones used M900 and later M950. Have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=379785
If you can accurately date your frame (not so easy as I understand) then that may guide your choice, otherwise decide which you would prefer and go for it! No compatibility issues to worry about.

Re: Re:

Corduroyboy":37u67u03 said:
Hi, there were two versions of the ‘96 Zaskar LE - earlier ones used M900 and later M950. Have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=379785
If you can accurately date your frame (not so easy as I understand) then that may guide your choice, otherwise decide which you would prefer and go for it! No compatibility issues to worry about.

Ah great. Thanks for the info. Anyway my serial number is 10961373 followed by nunber 16 below it. What can u tell from those 2 strings of numbers?

Re:

It’s a October 96 built frame. So very late in the year and could even be a 97MY. Not sure what the cut off point was. It’s a 16 inch frame.

I’d build it with M950 personally. It is the best groupset shimano has ever made in my view and looks great. Plus it’s easier to get.

My 96 Zaskar was full m950 until I robbed it for another project. Now it’s M739 with a M950 R mech.

Hi Reddysan,

I’ve just bought a March ‘96 16 inch Zaskar LE.
Mine has a random mix of parts on it, and was also wondering what groupset to use. It was relatively cheap, so under whether to go for era correct XT, or go the whole hog and source an XTR groupset.
What did you opt for in the end? Do you have a build thread for the bike?
All the best, Paul.

Back