Zinniness ...... lets build the dream, Project Flowers

Those new stickers give them a tidy uplift... ;)

retrobikeguy":svi2prys said:
This is why.....

Now this is one of the coolest pictures of one of the coolest bikes I remember seeing in MBUK back in the day, just the fact it was a Zinn was enough but the white onza porcs just topped it, they were a statement piece on thier own, so much so that a set of them came to me for my birthday to fit to my proflex 550 :cool: they were mint as f***, weeks later after a bit of saving up I added the magura hydrostop brakes too, It was obvious the Jo burt Zinn had really affected my add on choices but alas I could never afford a Zinn so it was just the maguras, white porcs and a cut out of the Zinn on the wall for me....

IMG-20201124-213726.jpg

This is how.....

I can't afford a Zinn 753, not many of us can, especially at the moment. just seen an original with its campagnolo kit advertised for £1500 and it was snapped up, so I have picked up this 531 Centaur frameset for a lot less as a basis for Project Flowers, Yes I know this is a lesser grade of reynolds but once it has its new coat I dont think anyone will give a blinkin flip. I remember seeing this particular frame at Iconoclassic a few years ago and it was covered in campagnolo and it was nice :cool: so it seems a bit of a shame to be doing away with the lovely green paint but it does have some defects to the decals under the clearcoat so I can happily justify a repaint.

Starting basis -

Frame; Reynolds 531
Fork; Reynolds 753 segmented
Stem; Reynolds 531

I am looking forward to this build adventure :D

IMG-20201124-103109.jpg

More to add as and when I can..

I have to admit - that’s the coolest picture I’ve ever seen! I keep on coming back to it - wish I had a high res scan of it!

Love it! And really enjoying this - which made me seek out and read the other Zinn builds (inc the popular boty one)

ibbz":31uoegyq said:
retrobikeguy":31uoegyq said:
This is why.....

IMG-20201124-213726.jpg

I have to admit - that’s the coolest picture I’ve ever seen! I keep on coming back to it - wish I had a high res scan of it!

Love it! And really enjoying this - which made me seek out and read the other Zinn builds (inc the popular boty one)

Me too, would make a great poster for the man cave.

MatBH5":31uoegyq said:
Great home for those shifter top caps. Pleased to have helped a little.

Thank you again sir

sinnerman":31uoegyq said:
That makes me happy.

I feel all flowery inside.... :cool:

I wanna get flowery fella, need that frame back from the powderererers to test my flowery skills :)

longun":31uoegyq said:
Wow, they look much better!!!!

2021 just got a bit better;)
Peachy!":31uoegyq said:
Those new stickers give them a tidy uplift... ;)

They look sweet don't they, amazing how many uses poundland matt black has, stickers supplied by the man, Gil_m.

Bit of JB artwork keeping with the theme......

IMG-20201027-092049.jpg

Re:

Thats the bit thats stressing me out, everything is there ready to build this up and it would normally be done but pressure is on to go the extra and do a good job of the Flowers

Re:

One more question for everyone, bit of an odd one here but this is to be a Jo Burt replica, this is a 531 frameset, his was the 753 ..... should I stay true to the replica and fit 753 decals or stick to the truth that it is a 531 and not mislead peope.

I would always know it is a 531 even if I went 753 decals, and years into the future if (god forbid) I ever pass it on, It would be made clear of its true construction and the Genuine decals passed on.

Discuss

A replica should try and imitate the original as thoroughly as possible, in my opinion.

Re:

Maybe I'm too honest for my own good, but I would go for 531 decals. Also I think Reynolds won't sell their decals to anyone. They want to see some proof that their tubes are marked up correctly, but I may be mistaken.

Back