1983 F.W.Evans HISTORY UPDATE...

Re: 1983 / 1984 F.W.Evans...

BoyBurning":3r70mur1 said:
:p - oh yes they will be staying [family connection], and I'll be looking for some suitable period racks and panniers to add to them. :)

I may have a rack suitable, will shoot you a pm shortly

Very interesting ! I have one here too, just a frame though. It has the funky brake bridge, and the extra rack bosses on the front dropouts, but is badged as being 531.

BoyBurning - does yours have a frame number ? There's only the faintest trace of one under the paint on mine and I can't read it. Knowing the format of the number might help me !

Attachments

• 98E1E449-FE18-4365-A09C-13EFF6FF44E6.jpeg
    98E1E449-FE18-4365-A09C-13EFF6FF44E6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 893
Re:

Looks good!

I haven't been near the bike since I put it in the garage, but once I start the strip down I'll have a look for a frame number and report back.

Suspect I may not find one, but will see. Where is your frame number out of interest?

Re:

Is the answer to the question you posed me last week, J.W.Evans?

al.

Re:

An FW. Evans' ATB was the first ever mountain bike back rode in 1984.

As with many teenagers in the 1950's/60's/70's I used to ride my road bike on overgrown WWII bombsites. Around 1981, I saw a Raleigh Bomber bicycle in the Peak District and though these bikes were too small for me, I remember thinking how cool a bigger version fitted with wide ratio derailleur gears would be.

In late 1983 I moved from Liverpool to London to start a new job. There, in a Covent Garden bike shop I saw two Ritchey Montare mountain bikes. I immediately wanted one, but the £600.00 price tag was a bit steep at that time. So I went on a tour of the bike shops listed in the London Yellow Pages, looking for lower priced, hopefully British made alternative. Though most shops didn't even know what mountain bikes, there were a few who said that they had some on order. One of them being F.W. Evans' at their shop at 'The Cut' Near Waterloo station. They also said their bike met my criteria of being British made. I left my phone number, and they said they would let me know as soon as the bikes came in.

Back in early 1984 Evans had only two shops, the other being in Kinston to the south west of London. For some reason Kingston was the first shop to get stocks of the new F.W. Evans ATB. So in the Friday that the bikes arrived I took the day off and git the train to Kingston to see the bikes and hired a one to test over the weekend.

The bike I hired lloked unused and had a black frame and its frame number was recorded on the hire slip as 0001.

Thus began my long, enjoyable and mostly muddy adventure with mountain biking. :cool:

Re:

I remember first seeing mountainbikes being used by London couriers around 84, when I started Uni. Alas i had no real interest in them for a few more years, then i saw the light.

Now in safe hands after picking up last night. After a quick look component dates all from ‘83. Simplex rear which presumably should be a Mountech. Seat also a cheap Viscount but I have an ‘84 Ariake Jaguar in my spares. Will be a sympathetic resto I think. Will get pics together when I get a moment and share progress 👍🏻
Well done, you are now the owner of one of the first US style mountain-bikes to be mass-produced in the UK.

I am glad to hear that this has gone to someone who will appreciate it and carry out the 'sympathetic restoration' it deserves.

Just post here If you need any help with finding parts, period photos etc, or any info to help you with the restoration.

Here is a Mountech currently for sale on eBay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22473520...d=link&campid=5338793676&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back